Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 10:25:53
Print Post

Acer laptop dead, any thoughts

[link to this post]

Our old Acer Aspire 9304 died a while ago, and so we got a new laptop. I'm going to try and resurrect the system, but I would like your opinions on what has caused it to die before I spend my time trying to breathe life into the corpse...

First of all, it began to turn off randomy. We'd be surfing or the system would be sitting at idle, when it would just die. I managed to get all the data off the hard drive (took about an hour) and then it died completely.

Now, I used it a few times since then, it would work for about 5 minutes, then die.

The last time I tried to use it, the power brick was plugged in and the power light under the power switch came on, but when I pressed it, nothing happened. Well, I say nothing happened, but the fan began to turn, then immediately stopped and the HDD tried to spin up, but stopped. It doesn't even try to work, let alone POST.

My question is this, is it going to be an easy job to fix (clean and reseat HS check connections etc) or, as I suspect may be the case, has the system board died?

I do have the Acer service manual with lots of lovely pictures of components and the locations of all 39 (!) screws in the back plate.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

The Joshua Tree Holiday House and Support Centre for Courageous Kids and their Families.

Going for a world record in 15th - 22nd October: most coins collected in a week for charity.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 26-Aug-11 10:39:20
Print Post

Re: Acer laptop dead, any thoughts

[re: Shielder] [link to this post]

try turning it on with mains/psu connected, but without the battery,
& report symptoms then. (even if exactly the same...)
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:03:52
Print Post

It's probably something to do with power distribution. Looking at the service manual for the 9300 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=acer+aspire+"9300"+"service+manual"+pdf , 4th or 5th hit), the power is integrated onto the motherboard, so you'll probably need to replace the motherboard.

Pick up a spares n repair job off ebay for a working motherboard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Acer+Aspire+93...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:13:56
Print Post

Certainly worth opening it up and trying reseating everything. But, let's face it, not really worth spending too much to get it repaired. Sell it on eBay as "non-working, for spares or repair".
  Print Thread

Jump to