Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:08:30
Print Post

Consider Replacing Your Battery

[link to this post]

I have just got a error message saying, consider replacing your battery, i have looked this up on google and it seems to be a windows 7 issue, any ideas?.

Sky Broadband Customer smile

Edited by tommy_boi (Sat 27-Aug-11 20:08:51)

Standard User Daniel_g
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-11 22:27:26
Print Post

Re: Consider Replacing Your Battery

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

Had this 2 months ago and was right, the battery level dropped very quick, died in not 20 minutes while before would do 2 hours or there abouts.

See if the battery icom near the clock acts normal and it gets to 100% charge and stops, if it does run the computer on battery, set power to always on so the screen keeps going and the computer does not sleep, see how long it lasts. If not as good as it always was then it it not telling lies and the battery is on it's way out.

How it worked for me, then £29 on ebay was a new one and now works like before and goes a good 2 hours if not doing anything to hard on the thing.

There was a box in the battery icon settings somewhere to ignore the fact the battery might be going. Then message does not appear, but was right for me and new ebay battery was needed.

Just how it worked for me.
Was only 17 months old and alway did the leave computer on until it went flat 1 a month, keep batterty charged and never being used does them no good. So did what I thought was right and it died ( this was original one as computer was Feb last year).

Your machine might be right, fo the see how long it last not plugged in trick to prove a point.
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:04:06
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Was gonna try putting XP on the laptop as i googled the (replacing battery) message and it seems to be a error with the windows 7 operating system or is it, does my battery really need changing, i know the laptop is almost 3 years old now and i dont think the battery has been replaced since, what is the best way to test it then, would it be to fully charge it and then see how long it lasts?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:49:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
Was gonna try putting XP on the laptop as i googled the (replacing battery) message and it seems to be a error with the windows 7 operating system or is it, does my battery really need changing, i know the laptop is almost 3 years old now and i dont think the battery has been replaced since, what is the best way to test it then, would it be to fully charge it and then see how long it lasts?.

You don't have to do anything Windows is simply giving you some advice. No need to take such drastic action?
If the laptop is 3 years old, it most likely will have lost 60% or so of it's charge so that notification is probably correct rather than a false-positive.

Follow HP guide for battery calibration, preferably the latter one, because, in Windows Vista/7, unless you boot into safe mode, a graceful shutdown is forced when it gets low and cannot be disabled, so to force the battery to nothing, boot into safe mode: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc...

(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:54:02
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

It is just i googled the error message and it seems to be a windows 7 issue, so i tried putting windows xp on to see if i still got the battery error message, is there anyway to disable the message until i can get a new battery, where is the best place to get batterys from on the internet?.

Just to show you all what i am on about here is the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpr...

Edited by tommy_boi (Mon 29-Aug-11 01:58:01)

Standard User mikebear
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 08:29:31
Print Post

Can I suggest you install BatteryBar (free version) http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/
It gives continuous info on battery charge and condition.
It shows just 5.5% battery wear for my 18 months old Toshiba laptop which may be too optimistic!
I allow battery to go down to 50% charge once per month as I read somewhere (Windows Secrets?) that this is good for maintaining battery condition.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Aug-11 11:50:58
Print Post

Windows XP wont show that message because it isn't a feature of XP to detect that... smile

I'd imagine there is a registry entry somewhere you can set to get rid of this, but from a google search nothing seems to have been suggested that. I'd just put up with the warning, personally... as long as the battery life is sufficient for your purposes then there is nothing to worry about.

You could try the calibration procedure anyways, you might get some improvement in percieves battery life. But I would suspect that notification comes on based on data from the smart-chip inside the battery and it is probably locked to the serial number of the battery or something, thus once set will not clear.

Jump to