Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-11 07:44:47
Print Post

Reasonable multi task proccessor?

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I have a Dell desktop I bought off a mate as a stop gap. I think it is a Pentium(R) 4 3.2Ghz processor with 1 GB of RAM.

When I run Internet explorer and any other package it feels bog slow. (I'm still on XP by the way).
I normally have perhaps Word, Excel and IE open with the google earth plug in running so I can flick between them. It's generally a [censored] experience and I know my FTTC is not slowing things down.

Been looking at a HP laptop with an AMD phenom quad core processor (don't remember the exact spec off the top of my head) with 4GB RAM. Does it sound like this would be enough to speed things up for what I am using it for?

Just want it to flick between without a 5 second delay every time.

Thanks.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 02-Sep-11 08:00:40
Print Post

Re: Reasonable multi task proccessor?

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I'd guess the relatively little RAM of 1GB is the problem not the processor speed. Try bunging another 2GB in the existing machine.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Sep-11 08:35:37
Print Post

few things: reinstall the OS with a known working version. If using non genuine OS this could be the cause of the slowdown. Also, flash the bios with the latest version available. Look at background running software, disable/uninstall those not needed, some anti virus / firewall software can cause machines to bog down.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Fri 02-Sep-11 17:12:10
Print Post

I have a Dell desktop I bought off a mate as a stop gap. I think it is a Pentium(R) 4 3.2Ghz processor with 1 GB of RAM.
How old?

I'm guessing Prescott or possibly Northwood P4 - not fast CPU's by today's standards.

Do the usual things - run virus checks, make sure it's not loaded down with adware and other "helpful" but CPU sapping programs running in the background. Consider reinstalling the operating system from scratch as this is a good way of getting rid of accumulated cruft.

Maybe a it more RAM but 1GB should be OK for this type of machine - wouldn't go past 2GB personally.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 02-Sep-11 19:02:58
Print Post

Combination of RAM, settings and tweaks ought to improve that lot.

Open up task manager and watch the performance of the CPU when switching between tasks. Also monitor HDD activity. If you're game, some free tweaks will probably help.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-11 19:13:22
Print Post

How much memory does Windows see? Right click on My Computer and select Properties, it could be that the graphics sub-system, and perhaps others, are taking some of the small amount of RAM you have.

To be honest an extra 1Gb could well work wonders, 2Gb if possible.

Tony
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:09:36
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Combination of RAM, settings and tweaks ought to improve that lot.

Open up task manager and watch the performance of the CPU when switching between tasks. Also monitor HDD activity. If you're game, some free tweaks will probably help.

I'll be a little more game to tweak when I have a new machine running my important stuff. Tweaking the old one may be fun as a learning experience if nothing else (and it might help the wife as it will be "her machine" once I have "my" new one. wink).

Live BQM

37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:30:48
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
How much memory does Windows see? Right click on My Computer and select Properties, it could be that the graphics sub-system, and perhaps others, are taking some of the small amount of RAM you have.

To be honest an extra 1Gb could well work wonders, 2Gb if possible.

It says 1GB there.

Live BQM

37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:34:03
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
How old?

I'm guessing Prescott or possibly Northwood P4 - not fast CPU's by today's standards.

Do the usual things - run virus checks, make sure it's not loaded down with adware and other "helpful" but CPU sapping programs running in the background. Consider reinstalling the operating system from scratch as this is a good way of getting rid of accumulated cruft.

Maybe a it more RAM but 1GB should be OK for this type of machine - wouldn't go past 2GB personally.

Not sure really, 3 or 4 years?

Live BQM

37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:50:22
Print Post

Not sure really, 3 or 4 years?
Prescott then, most likely.

The NHS seems to have bucket-loads of Dells with Prescott processors (usually 2.8Ghz) - they're all s--l--o--w frown

Virus scan, reinstall the OS of you can, get rid of the cruft and add some more RAM, 1G or 2G extra at max (XP can't really use more than 3GB so there's no point going point having more).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to