Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Sep-11 16:10:57
Print Post

OEM Vista - Hardware replacement

[link to this post]

Computer died a couple of weeks ago, and will get time to look into it in the next few weeks. So far, have tested another PSU with no results. Don't have a replacement mobo, CPU or RAM for testing, so plan to take it to a small shop for just that.

Based on:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Can I assume that the RAM/CPU is a straight swap, and if I have to RMA the mobo for a like-for-like replacement (or a refurb), it too will be a straight swap?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User techguy
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:18:46
Print Post

Re: OEM Vista - Hardware replacement

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

The RAM should not cause an issue but a CPU change may trigger a reactivation requirement.

Even if you are just swapping out the mobo the chances are the BIOS will be a different version to the one you are running so it maybe a good idea to run a repair if you can anyway.

Case of suck it and see I'd say.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 18-Sep-11 17:23:01)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:29:14
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Yup. Less bothered about the licensing aspect, and more about whether or not I have to re-install Windows and mess around that way. I'd prefer a swap and start solution.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:33:17
Print Post

You won't have to reinstall windows if you replace cpu or ram, only motherboard.

(sensei) Sun 18-Sep-11 19:54:16
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Mmm. Point being, if I get an identical replacement mobo (assume identical BIOS version too), will it be a reinstall?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Sep-11 19:56:14
Print Post

Very unlikely. Even on XP, I swapped an entire system from P4 to Core2Quad on same hard disk (the only thing kept the same) and it booted fine.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Sep-11 21:23:03
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Well that's not like for like. If it's the same MB I don't think it'll need changing either. So long as the same drivers are required it should run. Licensing is another issue though.

Jump to