Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-11 17:53:02
Print Post

Erase certain files securely?

[link to this post]

I'm giving away a laptop. I want to keep all the system and program files on the HD whilst erasing all data ones. Is there a clever program out there that will do that (ie recognise the attributes of a file automatically). I've seen one where you have to specify the extensions (doc, jpg etc.) to erase, but that's a hassle as there are quite a few. And I want the data to be completely gone, not just look as if it is.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
Standard User Ribble
(member) Mon 26-Sep-11 19:19:56
Print Post

Re: Erase certain files securely?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Do you have a recovery disc? Even if you delete the files its still possible to recover the data. A much more secure way would be to completely re-write over the whole disc using something like DBAN which will securely wipe the drive, but if the machine has a recovery partition it will be destroyed (not sure if DBAN allows you to select individual partitions or just whole drives),
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-11 19:57:02
Print Post

Are you familiar with batchfiles?

Take the following line:

del /s *.txt

In dos that says to delete (del) all text files (*.txt) and in all subdirectories (/s).

Open notepad, drop that line into it, then if you want to get rid of all the .doc files, .jpg files and .bmp files you would have:

del /s *.doc
del /s *.jpg
del /s *.bmp

Then you would save the file as for example delete.bat, and save it to C:\ (the top level of the drive).

Warning!

There are all sorts of files which you may not consider important, but will reside within all sort of program file and system folders. They might be help files, or general appearance files. In my opinion, it's not a great way to clean your system.

However, you could make each line:

del /s/p *.txt

This would prompt you for a yes/no every file. Slightly better.

Once ready to run whatever you have, start a dos prompt, remembering to 'run as administrator' and navigate to C:\ and just type delete.bat

If you have specified the /p switch in your batchfile lines, it will start prompting. If not, it will start deleting all the files with a .doc .jpg or whatever you have specified.

There is no recycle bin in dos, so no second chance!

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Sep-11 19:57:37
Print Post

One option is Eraser - it won't delete the data, but you can do that manually and then run Eraser to "erase" the free space..
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:07:30
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

P.S. - Once that's all done, a secure file deletion tool ought to work (one which erases free space). CCLeaner might be one. I don't use that function much. Personally, I would fill the drive with useless files, then delete em again using a secure deletion tool.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:08:29
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

That's the one I couldn't remember. It's better than CCleaner's secure delete function.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:21:09
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Batch files!!! I used to love those back in the days of Win??? I wrote a cracker to backup onto a floppy (remember those?), ignoring ones created before a certain date. Anyone got it, for old times sake?
Meanwhile, back at the thread.......I don't want to erase the programs, just the data. I know that some programs use data files, so it's Catch22, I guess.

VM 50 Mbps
IE9

BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:23:43
Print Post

My advice:

Install eraser with the explorer shell integration, do searches in windows search for said file type extensions, then right click them and do secure erase.

(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:53:01
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

That sounds good. I'll give it a go!

VM 50 Mbps
IE9

BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6