Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Oct-11 14:18:12
Print Post

Help nailing cause of lock ups and BSODS

[link to this post]

Hi Folks

Earlier today my system began freezing whilst browsing on firefox 7, mouse or keyboard was unresponsive and I could only hard-reset the PC. Thinking this was a one off, I tried to resume but 45 minutes later it happened again. After another restart I attempted the 'repair system files option' on boot, and after this supposedly complete although how successful it was wasnt immediately apparent, it tried to boot back into windows but froze again on the loading screen.

So I restarted again, and things seem to be getting progressively worse. The system is now incredibly slow with hard drive operations, such as opening folders, deleting installing etc. But the CPU usage is low according to task manager.

I've had some BSOD's and the event log gives critical error 41 kernal-power message.

Things I've tried....

I have run Hijack This! and could find no evidence of anything suspicous, further to this I have NOD32 installed and it's upto date and I havent taken any risky behavior (websites, downloads etc) scan came out clean.

I have also run Prime 95 to eliminate hardware causes and I havent found any problems nor have I got it to produce a crash.

I have run windows built in boot diagnostic memory scanner, to no avail.

Tried booting up from a second hard drive, freezes still occurring (rules out software causes???)

Ran HD tune health check and found no bad blocks while booted on secondary hard drive (completed about 70% before that froze up too)

I've gone from having freezes to now barely being able to boot up on my main hard drive before it freezes. It does not freeze is BIOS or during memtest!

I'm starting to think I'm having PSU issues again (I've gone through about 3 of these units in the past 2 years and they have all been high quality units (OCZ stealth, Coolermaster GX 550W PSU) however when these failed they did so catastophically (no power whatsoever)

Please advise,
Vastly appreciated.

Windows 7 64bit (upto date) Running trouble free since 04/2010
Gigabyte AM2+ US3 mobo firmware F6
Phenom II 945 (temps 52c idle 59 load)
4 GB DDR 2 6400
Geforce 9600 GT
Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb
Samsung CDRW/DVDRW
3.5' FDD
Coolermaster GX 550W PSU
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-11 23:45:27
Print Post

Re: Help nailing cause of lock ups and BSODS

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Does booting into safemode still cause all this?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 09-Oct-11 08:58:30
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi Cam,

Thanks for responding!

Yes issues still occurs in safe mode. However, it doesnt seem to happen in bios. I might try getting a Linux install going on it and seeing if I can get it to freeze up more.

I'm still very baffled though as I have been fixing / building my own PC's for some time and I havent come across anything as hard to pin point as this before!

Cheers
James

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 09-Oct-11 11:08:25
Print Post

I don't know Prime95 and I wouldn't trust a diagnostic running under Windows in a case like this.

Memtest86 is what I'd suggest as a starter. Leave it running for a while.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

When it freezes, does the NumLock key still toggle the NumLock light? That's a very low level thing, done by the keyboard controller on the motherboard and the keyboard itself without intervention of the main CPU.

You might want to see what happens if you boot off a LiveLinux CD and try to exercise the system without involving the local hard disk(s) much. Some of the downloadables can be used either live or for an install.

Does nobody make a simple passthrough powermonitor widget for situations like this? Something you can stick inline with the PSU outputs, which will latch an LED if a voltage goes out of tolerance? As a one+ you put a USB connector on it so *another* PC can be used to log the voltages. Cost to build: $2. Retail price: $20. Time saved: worthless (or do I mean priceless).
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 13:21:59
Print Post

I have seen hard drive faults cause these symptoms
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 14:59:25
Print Post

If you suspect the PSU, you can run Speedfan which can show you the various voltages the motherboard is getting. Could be they are unstable.

Do you have a surge protector? Because it sounds like your computers are getting fried by surges.

(sensei) Sun 09-Oct-11 17:08:41
Print Post

Safemode bad suggests it's a drive corruption / hardware issue.

Suggest you disengage the HDD and run a memory testing tool in DOS. Something like memtest86 or its more up to date version if applicable.

That should eliminate the memory from the equation. YOu might want to try another HDD on a test install or something. If no probs, it would suggest your HDD is the problem. Whether it's a hardware or a corruption issue, perhaps you can refer to any S.M.A.R.T. notifications on the BIOS.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Oct-11 21:24:41
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for the responses here, simply fantastic I am massively grateful....

Just wanted to update all on the situation right now, I managed to 'force' the system to boot normally, shall we say. It took three attempts of either lock ups or BSODS but now it's been on the desktop or doing file transfers and backups for a few hours now seemingly without a glitch, as if nothing ever happened.

I ran the S.M.A.R.T tests on Speedfan and I could'nt find any problems with either of my HDD's, I'm not sure whether this rules that out or simply suggests that there can still be HDD problems that HD Tune or SMART can't sniff out.

Also, I ran 2 passes on Memtest and got the all-clear.

So now I'm wondering if the PSU is fluctuating suddenly and the mobo is taking measures to prevent damage. I'm also on a surge protector rather then hooked straight into the mains but the past two psu's got fried anyway on it so I'm wondering if I outta replace the thing?

Thanks so much again
Jamies
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Oct-11 21:46:30
Print Post

When you said tried booting from 2nd drive, what was on the 2nd drive? a clone of what was on the 1st drive, or something else, etc?

Did you change the power and especially the sata cable too? Cables can go bad... Try also changing SATA port, contacts can oxidise.

I've seen kernel-power caused by a faulty HDD before.

Is your system overlocked? I'd consider putting BIOS back to default settings too.

(Unregistered)Tue 11-Oct-11 18:41:46
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
When you said tried booting from 2nd drive, what was on the 2nd drive? a clone of what was on the 1st drive, or something else, etc?

Did you change the power and especially the sata cable too? Cables can go bad... Try also changing SATA port, contacts can oxidise.

I've seen kernel-power caused by a faulty HDD before.

Is your system overlocked? I'd consider putting BIOS back to default settings too.

Hi there,

One my old HDD I have another installation of 7 one there. It still locked up though not sure about the BSODS though, I could try and see if I could get it to do that too. It appeared to be running stable for about 5 hours yesterday, no problems whatsoever almost as if nothing has been happening, quite eerie in fact.

Just now I was messing around with my main HDD namely on Treesize and culling some large unneeded files and I managed to get a BSOD while attempting to delete something big > 2 gb. Think that gives the game away?

No overclocking here, although I have run the CPU core upto 73 c before during Prime 95 testing. Maybe I've caused some sort of CPU damage perhaps?

Would you recommend a version of linux, say Ubuntuu or something for testing.

Cheers!
James
  Print Thread

Jump to