Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-Nov-11 11:10:59
Print Post

New PC for Video Editing

[link to this post]

Hi

I need a new pc to use for video editing using Adobe Production Premium CS4 and would like some suggestions.
I am looking at spending about £800 but if needed can increase that amount to get a better pc. The budget also includes a monitor minimum 22 inches.

Thank you.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 11:58:49
Print Post

Re: New PC for Video Editing

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Are we talking a self-build, or a pre-built PC?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-Nov-11 12:08:08
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

A pre-built PC, thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:30:01
Print Post

Anon,

One thing that you could do is order a low spec Dell desktop (not a slim case) with a good quad core CPU, decent PSU and loaded with the Windows 7 64bit OS. Then customise it yourself with a Nvida Cuda 1GB GPU, at least 8GB of RAM and fit a second SATA 1TB HDD to use for working on your video files. A blu-ray read/write drive might also be useful or a third HDD over usb3 for archiving your video files.

A 22" 1920x1080 Acer monitor, or similar, shouldn't be any more than £130.

Choose the best GPU that you can get within your budget…

Best of luck.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:39:22
Print Post

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx...

On the scrolling options, the i5 CPU is preferred (the i7 is not that better for the money in this instance).

You can add a second 500GB hard drive (unless you really need it, I wouldn't bother with the RAID options) for extra space and/or backups.

Depending on your editing needs, you might consider taking the 8GB RAM option (2 x 4096).

That lot comes in at £759.

Generally I would recommend a self-build for certain reasons, but in some ways it's easier this way. You can probably get a similar spare hard drive for much less than £140, but if you are not inclined to install it, then your options are limited.

Bear in mind there are no speakers, and no mention of sound on that system. Might be owrth a quick call to Dell to see if there's onboard sound on the motherboard. If not, add a sound card too, and it's £809.

For video editing you generally want lots of RAM and CPU, and probably HDD space. Unless dealing with really high-end 3D stuff, the graphics card is less of an issue.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-Nov-11 12:49:58
Print Post

I'm a PC user and make the odd video here and there, but to be honest, if your doing video's for any kind of semi professional reasons. You better get a MAC as the visual quality on video's and graphics is far much better.

If your doing anything else other then video's and graphics, then buy a pc.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:02:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm a PC user and make the odd video here and there, but to be honest, if your doing video's for any kind of semi professional reasons. You better get a MAC as the visual quality on video's and graphics is far much better.

If your doing anything else other then video's and graphics, then buy a pc.

Within an £800 budget?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:02:35
Print Post

camieabz,

That Dell deal looks pretty good - adding more RAM and the second HDD options look very expensive though!

It probably does have adequate onboard sound for editing purposes.

Prefer Nvidia Cuda GPU's myself especially for editing AVCHD and HD .mov/H.264 stuff though...
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:07:48
Print Post

Re: WAIT!

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Wait a sec. frown

Those prices are Ex-VAT. Inc VAT it's closer to a grand in price. If it's for a business, then the Ex-VAT price may be ok.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:12:25
Print Post

I wouldn't have thought the Mac Mini was the best option for video editing. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to