Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:04:29
Print Post

Compliance: Windows 7 & 8

[link to this post]

I could do with a new printer plus the new version of a software application I use regularly. There are other bits and bobs as well. All my systems are Windows XP and I’ll probably replace at least one in 2012. If I buy the things I want/need now, they’ll be Windows 7. However, what if I buy a new computer system after the release of Windows 8? (When’s the exact UK date? Is it known?) Will software/drivers designed to run on Win 7 be compliant with Win 8?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:07:16
Print Post

Re: Compliance: Windows 7 & 8

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

You need to find out if the manufacturers have committed themselves to providing Windows 8 drivers/updates.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
‘The mood will pass, sir.’
P.G. Wodehouse -- The Code of the Woosters
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:24:36
Print Post

If you buy a printer NOW which supports Windows 7 it is likely the same driver will work with Windows 8 and highly likely the manufacturer will release full featured Windows 8 compatible drivers. Kernel version of windows 8 will be 6.2 afaik.

Anything a bit older as usual the updated drivers they provide may not include ALL the gubbins you would get with the supplied CD for the intended OS, but nobody wants that rubbish anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:38:57
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I might have to put off the new software. I'll be OK with a printer, etc.

EDIT: Though if the release date is still next autumn/ the last quarter of 2012 I could just as well forge ahead.

Edited by ARD (Sun 20-Nov-11 15:42:01)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:09:29
Print Post

To avoid confusion I would request that replies are made to the post in the Windows forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4066220-c...

It makes more sense there!

This thread is closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to