Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:47:48
Print Post

Gigabit Router issues

[link to this post]

First off here is my set up.

Dlink G604T ADSL Modem/Router > Gigabit Netgear Router > My PC, Fileserver, 2 other PC's plus a D-Link DIR-615 used for wireless access.

The problem im having is, when ever anyone starts watching a video thats on the fileserver or transferring files about, internet access slows to a crawl and ping sky rockets.

What gives?

Surely a gigabit router should be able to handle the file transfers and people using the net at the same time?!

BT 8MB
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 22:08:29
Print Post

Re: Gigabit Router issues

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

First of all, why do you have two routers in your setup?
Secondly, are you using the correct cable and all network cards configured as gigabit (don't just leave them as automatic).
Thirdly, I'd probably throw a switch into the setup and have your devices connected to that rather than the router...

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 00:06:53
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

sorry my bad, the gigabit netgear is a switch lol

BT 8MB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 20-Jan-12 01:44:27
Print Post

Apart from the Netgear switch, is ANYTHING connected to the D-Link? Does it have wireless that something may use?

It does sound as though the switch is not doing its job properly and sending all traffic to the router which then returns it to the switch to be routed to the destination.

It is worth doing a reset to defaults for the switch?

I do exactly the same: Modem >>>> 2wire2701 Hub/Router >>>> Linksys/Cisco Gbit switch >>>> Devices/PCs/TV/DVD/WAPs(x4)&c and have never had that sort of problem - I can get several hi speed transfers running between PCs (700Mbps) along with a full 40Mb down load and no issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 08:03:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Should be easy enough to test. Just watch the lights when doing a transfer between two computers and make sure that only the ones for the computers flicker, not the port that is connected to the router. Also, make sure that all ports except the router one show a geen light, not an amber one (the difference can be quite subtle on a Netgear). And power cycle the switch - on mine the ports sometimes revert to 100Mb and that resets them bact to Gigabit.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:08:40
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Not saying you are wrong, but the colours of LEDs vary depending on brand and sometimes even by range.

Dell laptop & docking station ... DarkOrange/Red -100Mbit : Orange - Gbit
Linksys/Cisco switch ... Green - 100Mbit : Orange - Gbit
Huawei Modem ... Green - 100Mbit
2wire hub ... Green - 100Mbit

M H C

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:46:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The colours on a Netgear gigabyte switch are amber for 100 Mb and Green for 1 Gb.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:12:28
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
The colours on a Netgear gigabyte switch are amber for 100 Mb and Green for 1 Gb.

Just checked on an unused Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch; It ONLY has Green LEDs, Left - 100Mb; Right - 10Mb; Both - 1000Mb. So, there is variation depending on range or model.

M H C

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:15:05
Print Post

The switch is doing what it should in regards to file transfers, from say my pc to my server files will transfer at a nice 60mb or more witch tells me its not sending files down to the adsl router and back up again or id be seeing 10mb or slower, and the lights confirm this.

Its a switch, it has no, restore defaults or even a web interface.

Think i also explained how its all connected wrong but ill just re do that.

ADSL in to Dlink G604T (Running G624T Firmware) thats got 1 PC conected via cable, then another cable runs up stairs to my dlink DIR-615 (Running DD-WRT.com Firmware) then a cable from that to the Netgear Gigabit switch and then thats got 4 PC's connected to it.

Wireless lapptops etc all connect to the DIR 615

I can repeat this issue over and over, all i have to do is transfer a file from any pc connected to the switch to another pc also on that same switch, then go on another pc thats connected to that switch and the internet access speed is really slow untill the transfer is done then internet access is fine again.

If i connect my laptop to the wireless and transfer a large file, again over the same PC's the internet is fine as its bybassing that switch.

Sholuld i return this thing for a refund/exhange? Give netgear a ring about it maybe?

BT 8MB
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:36:56
Print Post

The DIR-615 is a router, maybe that is causing some conflicts...
Could you connect your switch straight to the G604T and retry your transfer/browsing test? If you get better performance then it is likely the DIR-615 is the root cause of the issue.

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to