Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(committed) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:00:32
Print Post

Scanner / Parallel / SCSI / DSUB Connections?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm having a bit of bother, here's what I have:

Epson GT10000 Scanner with SCSI connection on the back (DSub connection Either 25 or 37 pin).
PC running Win 7 Professional 64 bit SP1 with PCIe parallel card with 25 pin female DSub

Nothing else to be connected.

The computer doesn't have a connection to suit on it sadly. I bought a standard parallel PCIe card for it and it doesn't work, in fact the scanner just switches off.

It connects to what I'd call a standard parallel port on the PCIe computer card.

Have I the wrong thing and if so please can anyone tell me what I need to get the scanner working with the Win7 machine please. I've spent a fortune to no avail so far and it'd be good to get it sorted at last.

Thank you for any help

Edited by smiffy12 (Thu 26-Jan-12 15:01:15)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:26:11
Print Post

Re: Scanner / Parallel / SCSI / DSUB Connections?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

It's a SCSI scanner, so you need a SCSI card that is compatible with Windows 7 plus the appropriate cable. A basic SCSI card suitable for a scanner should cost about £30 and the cable will probably be the same. Make sure that the card that you buy has Windows 7 drivers; I assume you have already checked that the scanner is Windows 7 compatible.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 16:35:37
Print Post

As AEP says, you will need a SCSI card. There as various SCSI variants, so you will need to know what variant your scanner uses and ensure that the card that you buy will support it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JPL
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 09:59:41
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Take the easy way out and replace the scanner.

I have been through the same process twice with my old Agfa scanner. On migrating to Windows XP I had to purchase a new SCSI card because the old one had no XP drivers. On migrating to Windows 7 the new SCSI card in turn had no Win 7 drivers, but this time I replaced the scanner, although it was still working fine. The new scanner cost little more than the SCSI card had. Models with LAN connection were too expensive, but the WLAN connectivity on the chosen model works perfectly.

JPL
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jan-12 10:35:21
Print Post

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

Good advice.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Feb-12 11:21:44
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

yep and even a fairly cheap one should have a better resolution anyway, like this one or this one

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 01-Feb-12 12:10:30
Print Post

I'd think about replacing the sacnner, have a shop round and see what you can find.

The scanner itself is gradually dropping away from support - the only suitable driver is a 32-Bit Vista one from 2007.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail...

But, if you can find a cheap enough SCSI card and it does what you want, why not? Might be time to hit ebay and buy a used card instead of shelling out for a new one, but you'll need to check you can get drivers before you buy.

(I have an old GT 7000 myself, thankfully it's USB)
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 04:07:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by smiffy12:
...... Epson GT10000 Scanner with SCSI connection on the back.....

If you're going to keep this scanner for whatever reason, I have a couple of suitable SCSI cards laying around.
PM me with somewhere to send them if you want them.
  Print Thread

Jump to