Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Feb-12 17:34:49
Print Post

16GB USB Flash Drive sought? Good/Bad/Ugly?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to buy a 16GB USB flash drive. I already have a 8GB Corsair Survivor GT which has been very reliable in the 4 years I've had it.

One reason I like it is it's size makes it easy to insert and remove, some seem very small and awkward to grip, especially with my chunky fingers. Clearly that's a requirement of any flash drive I buy. I'd prefer one with a retained cap (the Survivor cap is sufficiently large not to worry about losing it) but it's not essential.

Browsing the web seems to suggest that virtually all such have reliability problems or suddenly die. Maybe this is just the posts being more biased towards problems than praise.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Tony
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Feb-12 18:00:49
Print Post

Re: 16GB USB Flash Drive sought? Good/Bad/Ugly?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I have a 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager which I've had for a couple of years now with no problems.
I also have a 2GB and a couple of 4GB for several years with no problems, it's just that they're a bit small for my purposes now.
Use them as 'long term store' for some files which I wish to retain. ( I also have the same files backed up to HDD as well wink)

Can't really speak about other brands, but I've stuck with Corsair as they have always been reliable as far as I'm concerned.

Why change a winning formula??

ZeN Active
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Feb-12 19:23:04
Print Post

I buy sandisk cruzer - never have any problems, and they do a titanium version which is a bit stronger. Though to be honest though while it is "crush resistant to 2 ton" it probably isn't "bend it while it is inserted into a usb port" resistant, which is always how they end up getting wrecked?

Kingston I have found are [censored] and once you press the USB end back into the casing forcefully, the mechanism gets damaged so you have to hold the lever while pushing into a usb port, very annoying.

As a side note get 32GB if you can (unfortunately no cruzer titanium in this size) and then you fulfil the official requirements to play with Windows (8) To Go, nothing like impressing friends by booting Windows 8 on their machines - I've been playing with this recently and it runs well on all sorts of [censored] hardware.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 23:24:16
Print Post

I use a LaCie ImaKey. Not the cheapest, but it's been jangling about on my keyring along with coins in my pocket for years and never lets me down. No need for caps or mechanisms to protect the connections. It just works. It's even been soaked in seawater and still works. I'm sure there are faster keys now, but while the Imakey is working I'm not interested. It's only failing is the fact that I easily forget it has my house keys attached. More than once I have got home to realise that my keys are attached to to it and it is still inserted into my office PC crazy.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 05-Feb-12 14:49:04
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

I use a SanDisk (8GB I think). Also on keyring 10x glass, UV light to detect counterfeit notes, Swiss army knife, and a couple of Nectar keytags (oh, forgot, also door key). smile
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:04:46
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

You need to be more specific. Who's door key? Could it be the neighbour lady? grin

Tony
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:30:06
Print Post

Possibly http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19306415

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:55:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
You need to be more specific. Who's door key? Could it be the neighbour lady? grin

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere,
I'm all alone, more or less,

sod the neighbour lady. I'll put my own key on the ring from now on! smile
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 04:01:32
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
... I buy sandisk cruzer - never have any problems....

Another vote here for Sandisk.... Except for the fact that they are physically so small I generally lose them before they get properly tested!
  Print Thread

Jump to