Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:18:34
Print Post

Will this work with 1080p or at least 720p

[link to this post]

Hi had sky TV cut off in favor of services such as Netflix and love film so im building a media center for under the room TV recycling most parts ive got case psu dvd drive hard drive CPU and RAM but im needing a new motherboard im looking at this one can anyone tell me will the GFX on this be able to play 1080p or at least 720p MKV Blu-ray rips (played Via WMC) or would you recommend also getting a separate GFX card, A friend had offered me one of these for a 15 quid but silly as it sounds id rather spend the 15 quid on 2.5 month sub to Netflix if the motherboards gfx will handle it.

got so far (these are all what i already had)

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80ghz dual core
Patriot 4GB 10600 1333MHZ DDR3 (hence why considering this motherboard)
500GB SATA2 Samsung HDD
DVD rom will be upgrading to a blu-ray reader in a few months
and a generic MATX case witch is silent and dose the job lol

Im not going to be putting a TV card in as ive got no interest in free view at all, Between Netflix love film and freesat more than enough content.

This computer wont be used for anything else except vid/music/photo playback so the lower speck should be fine i think but best to check these things out so i can get back to my friend weather i want the card or not lol.

Thanks for any help

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 05-Mar-12 10:41:53)

Standard User epyon
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 15:35:06
Print Post

Re: Will this work with 1080p or at least 720p

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

The CPU can play 720P not sure about 1080P

The GPU should be able to do 1080p if the player supports GPU Support.

Though i would just grab http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-pentium-dual-co...

Very cheap and twice as powerful as you're current cpu.

BE*Unlimited 16968/1353Kbps @ 6db INP0
TalktalkEssentials 15788/1254Kbps @ 6db INP0

Edited by epyon (Mon 05-Mar-12 15:36:49)

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 16:16:35
Print Post

Scroll down on this link. Indicates the onboard GPU won't do 1080p.
The graphics card you link to should be fine but do a quick google search for real world examples.

CPU is almost irrelevant if you have the right GPU.

I use an intel atom with onboard nvidia ion 2 GPU which plays 1080p at 20+Mbps and the CPU barely hits a few % load!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 19:42:36
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replys the processor dose handle 1080 fine used to have a 8800 with it so I think it is more down to gpu if that 4500 won't cut it ill get the nvidia off my friend the card was designed with media centres in mind so nps thanks for confirming I need one all in all spending about 40 quid or so to get a fully functioning media centre is good to me

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:47:33
Print Post

I suspect that the board would struggle with 1080p. More to the point any HD video will have the CPU fan sounding like a Dyson unless you invest in a decent CPU cooler. OK. Dyson's obviously an exaggeration, but the real irritation is the fan ramping up and down. If they stayed at a single speed it would be less irritating in a media centre rig. With an old Pentium D in the box silent is something your rig will almost certainly not get even close to if you try and have it decode 1080p (or even 720p) using onboard graphics.

The G210 will do 1080p without a problem, but if you're serious then spend a little more then buy a fanless ATI 6450. It's absolutely the best picture quality I have ever seen from a fanless GPU. This is about as close to HD that SD gets.

Im not going to be putting a TV card in..... and freesat

Do I detect a contradiction in terms there or are you referring to Freesat via another box?

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 08-Mar-12 19:49:32
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
I suspect that the board would struggle with 1080p. More to the point any HD video will have the CPU fan sounding like a Dyson unless you invest in a decent CPU cooler. OK. Dyson's obviously an exaggeration, but the real irritation is the fan ramping up and down. If they stayed at a single speed it would be less irritating in a media centre rig. With an old Pentium D in the box silent is something your rig will almost certainly not get even close to if you try and have it decode 1080p (or even 720p) using onboard graphics.

The G210 will do 1080p without a problem, but if you're serious then spend a little more then buy a fanless ATI 6450. It's absolutely the best picture quality I have ever seen from a fanless GPU. This is about as close to HD that SD gets.

Im not going to be putting a TV card in..... and freesat

Do I detect a contradiction in terms there or are you referring to Freesat via another box?

Thanks for the reply ill use the 210 ill admit i am not an AMD/ATI fan don't ask why i seam to just gear towards intel/vidia, There is a 3rd party cooler on the CPU cant remember what it is now though without unpacking it when i used to use it as a full time computer before the original motherboard died not too long ago coupled with an nvidia EVGA 8800 GTS 640Mb it was very silent indeed that's why i chose to reuse it instead of just starting fresh i used to play l4d2 at 1080p with this card all settings on high and it never got loud although this is an old game now i suspect a video will be a little less demanding on the CPU than the game.

After thinking about it ive seen these they seam to get excellent reviews from people using windows media center i was not going to bother to start with because last time i looked sat cards seamed to cost like 80 quid on there own and did not want to get a free view card (cheaper) because there no rooftop aerial and very little on free view that we watch i was going to just leave the sky HD box there as a freesat box but for under 30 quid cant complain and it would give PVR functions back were as soon as the sky sub drops sky+ will go too.

this may contradict what ive said threw ought this post about trying to save as much money as possible by reusing parts but

dose anyone think id be better off buying a different motherboard and using one of these dont let the celeron brand fool you these get descent scores in benchmarks i built a pc with of these for my mum about a week ago with 4GB DDR3 ram and using the built in sandy bridge HD 2000 gfx i tested a 1080p bluray out (temp put the bluray drive out of my pc in it) and it played flawlessly and silently the total cost for mobo ram and prosy was £70 .

ive already got a spare 4 gig ram stick that i can use in this setup(bought at the same time) so just need mobo and processor taking into count the 775 mobo is £25.80 + £15 quid for the gfx card thats £40.80 for a little bit more i could get the celeron and a 1155 mobo as i say i do know that would defeat the original plan but it also means the computer is far more up gradable in the long run what do you all think

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Thu 08-Mar-12 19:53:52)

Print Thread

Jump to