Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:26:19
Print Post

Hard drive cloning etc

[link to this post]

I am considering buying Paragon Personal-User Hard Disc Management Suite (US$50 for March 2012 version, downloadable)

I have used Wikipedia's entry which compares such-like. I have read reviews of Acronis in Amazon, not encouraging. I have long ago given up on Norton (Symantec's Ghost etc). Paragon seems a plausible contender.

My main concerns are safely making incremental/differential backups of my data on my external HD, creating an OS lifebelt should the booting sector of my internal HD fail, and cloning the entire internal hard drive (to the external hard drive) and I mean everything on it, OS, programmes, personal settings, data.

It would seem that Paragon's home user suite would please? I invite comments before I click on the "Buy Now" button. Thanx to all responders.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:55:33
Print Post

Re: Hard drive cloning etc

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Paragon do a free Backup Suite. Backup and Recovery with which u can burn a CD for bare metal restores from a portable hard drive. I'm using 2011 free version and it does a complete drive copy and compress to external hard drive.

Worth playing with before you lash the cash as it's free and easily uninstalled and don't forget to burn and test the restore CD to make sure it can see the external hard drive from Linux/DOS.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Tue 06-Mar-12 22:58:23
Print Post

For Hard Drive cloning, CloneZilla is hard to beat - especially the price!

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
I am considering buying Paragon Personal-User Hard Disc Management Suite (US$50 for March 2012 version, downloadable)

I have used Wikipedia's entry which compares such-like. I have read reviews of Acronis in Amazon, not encouraging. I have long ago given up on Norton (Symantec's Ghost etc). Paragon seems a plausible contender.

My main concerns are safely making incremental/differential backups of my data on my external HD, creating an OS lifebelt should the booting sector of my internal HD fail, and cloning the entire internal hard drive (to the external hard drive) and I mean everything on it, OS, programmes, personal settings, data.

It would seem that Paragon's home user suite would please? I invite comments before I click on the "Buy Now" button. Thanx to all responders.

Adam
Sky Max LLU

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 22:31:50
Print Post

Easeus ToDo is a completely free and well regarded solution.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 04:56:36
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:

Nice program.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Mar-12 09:27:09
Print Post

i use acronis true image home boot cd

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Thu 22-Mar-12 17:03:17
Print Post

Re: Hard drive cloning SUCCESS

JUst for the record (& thanks to "Deadbeat" this thread) have downloaded, installed & used EaseUs partition manager and its sister clone tool. Found them indeed easy to use and the "home" versions are entirely free.

I transferred all my data from my external hard-drive to my internal. Using Easeus I then turned the nominal 500GB Hitachi external into a single partition & did a so-called government-wipe of the external. I then created three partitions which was oh so easy. One 5GB larger than my wife's internal HD which is nominally 80GB --- one at 165GB for my nominal 160GB --- and the rest a general dumping ground.

Easeus enabled me to write new (& meaningful) names to these partitions.

I then used the clone tool to make an exact copy of each internal hard-drive which even on USB2 takes several hours to copy a 160GB internal --- but the "master" clone only has to be done once. I also used Easeus to make master boot records on CDs (but not quite sure what to do with my two MBR now I have 'em?)

My purpose in posting this is three-fold --- it reveals how truly useful are these forums --- it shows even a tekky-ninny like me can manage a first-time encounter with properly designed software --- and finally there is satisfactory free stuff out there, identifying it is something else.

My next task will be to discover how to make differential backups as the months go by. Is that the correct term for cloning just the differences? Have a nice day guyz. I just have!

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-12 09:01:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:

I have just done a backup and restore of my main C drive and the above worked flawlessly. Bit of a pain to setup a WinPE USB stick but well worth it. Paragon used to take an hour to backup the system partition, Easus takes 10 mins and 20 mins to restore - brilliant.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Sat 24-Mar-12 09:20:23
Print Post

I don't know why you say that reports on Acronis True Image are not encouraging. I have been using their various updates for years and years. It is true to say that 3 or 4 years ago they did have some niggly problems but these were sorted out fairly quickly.
This program has pretty well saved my life from a few serious disasters.
Support is incredible, one agent was on the phone to me for nearly an hour one night, after I had screwd up my C; drive and couldn't access my back up. He took over my PC and sorted it.
I am not an employee of Acronis,and my favourite occupation is complaining at the drop of a hat, but I would thoroughly recommend True Image.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 24-Mar-12 11:41:57
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Acronis saved my bacon when the C:\ drive decided to quit. Swapped drives to put the image on D:\ as C:\ and off we went. Job Done!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
  Print Thread

Jump to