Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 11:45:04
Print Post

win 8 touch screen

[link to this post]

With the imminent introduction of win 8 which works with touchscreen. Is it possible to change the screen on a laptop to a new touchscreen which could work with the new win OS ? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick!!
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Mar-12 12:15:41
Print Post

Re: win 8 touch screen

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No, the touchscreen element is baked into the hardware (in this case the screen), requiring additional components. I expect there will be laptops available with touch screens, or tablets with detachable keyboards (like the Transformer Prime).

Edited by Spasch (Fri 09-Mar-12 12:16:16)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 09-Mar-12 12:17:29
Print Post

Probably cheaper to buy a new machine rather than retrofit a touchscreen on a laptop (if they are available). Just use the mouse to point on the laptop as normal. Windows 8 is quite usable using a mouse.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 15:44:14
Print Post

Touch screens are expensive tho.

Just look at the price of "all in one" desktops. Then look at the hardware you get.

Dual Core all in one PC for £750 I think not... then you see its got a touch screen and the price makes sense

BT 8MB
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 22:42:25
Print Post

A few years back, it was possible to buy some sort of frame that went over a monitor and made it sort of touch screen, it would not work with a laptop because yo would not be able to close the lid and I doubt the product have been updated for wide screen.

Not that i use my laptop very often, but I am not sure if I would want a touch screen laptop, I certainly would not want my desktop to be touch screen.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
  Print Thread

Jump to