Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 12:55:00
Print Post

Disk drive integrity

[link to this post]

I have a 1TB disk drive that is showing a fair number of corrupted documents. Now I have backups that appear to be intact so there's no panic but I do have the hassle of merging my backups with my updated documents. My question is, how do you detect data corruption when the hardware is not reporting any errors? What strategy do you use, if any. Ideally, I would like to be notified as soon as possible that files have become corrupt. What is the best way to do it?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me instead." -Emo Philips
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 11-Mar-12 13:12:19
Print Post

Re: Disk drive integrity

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

If no disk errors are reported it suggests that data is being correctly recorded to disk. That would suggest that a rogue program is corrupting the document in memory.

Any other symptoms?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 13:19:22
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

There are no other symptoms. It seems to be just office documents and images. I had thought of a virus although I've had no infections reported. My question still stands, though. How can I detect such corruptions?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me instead." -Emo Philips

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 11-Mar-12 13:25:37
Print Post

All I can suggest is that you compare the backups with the current documents and investigate any differences.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 13:33:02
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

That is what I must do pro tem. I'm thinking about a more robust strategy. Routine automated file comparisons are an obvious option. Aside from the hassle of restoring damaged files, the main risk is in overwriting good backups with corrupted files.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 11-Mar-12 14:17:37
Print Post

Assuming you do have other backups, and it's not a system drive, I would start with a fixmbr, then a full format. Then if it's still doing it and there's nothing reported, such as bad clusters, I would suspect the source of the data which would be the software if it's localised, or perhaps a bad drive controller if said drive is on its own on that controller. In fact, it could be any number of hardware issues, but you should see patterns, and if they're specific to the drive (but not the controller) it's most likely the MBR or a software issue on the drive (virus / bad driver / no idea! smile ).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 14:42:56
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I'm not worried about that particular drive or the cause of the errors. What I'm thinking about is a way to detect such corruptions in the future with minimal effort on my part.

Print Thread

Jump to