Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 22-Mar-12 10:43:07
Print Post

Anyone using WD Smartware?

[link to this post]

I've got a WD extermal hard drive backup device. It's a "Passport Essential".

For some time, it appears to have stopped backing up, or rather, it never gets past a certain point.

It's perpetually showing just 18.4MB out of 3.27GB copied, and it never seems to advance any further.

I've stopped and restarted the drivers manually, and (now) done a full reboot of the laptop. It still hasn't nudged it into life.

The "quick" self-diagnostics both pass: I'm now running a complete drive test, which "may take hours".

Anyone any ideas?

The frustrating thing is I'm not getting any failure messages. It just sits there, but never completes the backup.

T.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 12:02:11
Print Post

Re: Anyone using WD Smartware?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Does task manager show the software still running and using processor power?

Might be worth posting here.

Tony
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 13:35:42
Print Post

I have a WD Passport Essential too but imo backup/restore is too important to be left to otherwise-unseen software from hard drive vendors.

This sounds more like broken software than broken hardware, so taking the Task Manager suggestion a step further, it might be worth a look with something like the Sysinternals tools (probably Process Explorer for this?) which can show what files a process is accessing (e.g. does the same file always break it?)

2MB free download from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 22-Mar-12 16:34:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi,

The disk passed the complete disk check (for bad sectors), which did indeed take several hours, so I tend to agree it's not H/W. Accordingly, I uninstalled the S/W and reinstalled it. The backup went a few blocks more, and then stalled again.

I've now switched OFF the backups, temporarily, because the Home tab, on the console, still says it's categorizing my files. It's been doing it for hours. I wondered if the reason it can't back up is because it's still trying to finish whatever it's doing there, which is why I suspended the backups, to give it a chance to catch up. The progress bar is still active, so it thinks it's still categorizing something.

T.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 19:47:01
Print Post

You really want to trust your backups to this software?

You've tested it to see if you can actually restore things as well as take backups, right?

If you insist on sticking with it, do consider having a go with Process Explorer and watch what it gets up to when backup is working well and when it's stalled.

Is there an anti-virus in this picture? Does anything change if you temporarily disable it? Obviously it *shouldn't* interfere, but...

"The progress bar is still active, so it thinks it's still categorizing something."

Are there any numbers, are they increasing, does Process Explorer show any activity?

If not, maybe it just wants you to think it's categorizing something? It wouldn't be the first time - didn't Windows Explorer in days gone by show the animated "flying folders" on a file copy carrying on even when no progress is actually being made - it was just an animation to look pretty?
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 23-Mar-12 10:34:56
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Without going into too much detail, I don't have much choice.

It's a work-owned machine, so I don't have free choice what diagnostics etc. I can install, nor to switch off AV, to see if it makes any difference.

But I did need to pick "something" to do the backups (as work failed to supply any, but I didn't think that defence would go down very well if I confessed to losing the lot), so dedicated hardware and software bought for the purpose ought to have done the trick - though I wasn't going to spend a lot of money, as it's out of my own pocket.

It certainly used to work, for quite some time. And yes, I could plug the drive into another machine, and review and restore the files.

I'm sure I still could now - for those that are on there. It has just stopped backing up for some reason. It's got the historical archives, but it doesn't seem to be adding any new stuff.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 12:52:03
Print Post

OK, thanks, sounds like the usual half baked IT department "solution" (do the easy bit but not the hard bit, and prevent the user themselves from finishing the job properly by denying them Local Admin rights). Marvellous.

Say no more. You have my sympathy.
  Print Thread

Jump to