Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User juliaatbroadband
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 20:21:18
Print Post

Socket not working for broadband

[link to this post]

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the problem I experienced, which needs to be resolved.

The home has the master socket on the ground floor, near the front door, currently used only for a fax machine.

The first floor has a socket, which appears to be an extension socket, which isn't being used.

The second floor has a socket, with a filter fitted and a phone and modem/router working perfectly.

I decided to connect a filter to the ground floor main socket and plug in a long 15m broadband cable to allow a computer to be connected on the ground floor. However, when I plugged in the broadband modem/router (both an old Talk Talk one and a newer D-Link modem router), the DSL light doesn't come on. At one point it did come on, for about 5 minutes, then it went off again - not to come back.

I have checked another filter, which I know works as it's in use on the second floor, and the DSL light won't come back on - whether used on the ground or first floor sockets. Only when either filter is plugged into the second floor socket does the DSL light come on.

Short of getting in a phone engineer to investigate the ground floor socket, which would cost over £100, what are my options for getting the ground floor computer connected to the internet ?

The computer needs a solid, reliable connection to the internet as the user on the ground floor is an avid downloader, so a wireless connection to the router on the second floor isn't an option.

If you need any more information to help me, please feel free to ask and I will reply immediately.

Regards,
Julia
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 22-Mar-12 20:38:10
Print Post

Re: Socket not working for broadband

[re: juliaatbroadband] [link to this post]

For a start, the filter is so you can use voice and fax devices. Broadband should work, with or without a filter.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 21:17:25
Print Post

Are you trying to use 2 routers, one on the 2nd floor and one by the front door. Only 1 router on a broadband connection.

You write a lot and explain but not sure if 2 routers are used.
This wont work.

If the downstairs computer can be plugged into the router using one of the 1 to 4 port holes on the back so not wireless but a cable to the ethernet hole on the computer then try these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired--up-Ethernet-RJ45-Netw...

Does just the known upstairs working router work if it is moved downstairs so the original router moved to the front door socket.

So one router in the set up ( and house),

Plug one of the homeplugs into a wall socket ( not so good on extension cables so straight into the mains socket on the wall). Wire to a port on the back of the upstairs router and the other, again on a mains socket on the wall to the network hole on the computer using the cables.

Not sure of your set up but if 2 routers going then no good.

Better to get a long network lead ( like the 2m ones) from upstairs to downstairs but through walls and floors, hard so the homeplugs work and I have some running at 40Mb bt infinity broadband speed so do the job.
People on here say they work, some say not and can cause electrical noise and problems. For £35 worth a try.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 21:20:58
Print Post

Homeplugs cone with a couple of 1m cables so £34, job done.

Just read the first review.
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 21:45:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

The second floor has a Netgear broadband modem/router (wireless capable) which connects wirelessly to a laptop to provide internet access.

The desktop computer used to be in the same room and connected using an ethernet cable to the same Netgear modem/router. However, it now needs to be moved downstairs to the living room where it needs the same ethernet cable connection to the internet.

With this additional information / clarification, can you help me further ?

Regards,
Julia
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 23-Mar-12 07:08:29
Print Post

Forgot to log in yesterday

Hello

I also need an ethernet connection away from the router so getting a cable from on e of the holes on the back of the router to the computer is not easy.

Try the homeplugs.

What internet speed do you have.

Mine is the upto 40Mb fibre to the cabnet and goes the full 40 and homeplugs work.
Can see you have broadband down the phone and using extension so upto the 20 or 25Mb I guess so these amazon £34 things will do. Makes an ethernet connection where you want.

Plug one upstairs and the other down stairs.

They need to go into a wall socket (nasty 4 way extension block is not ideal but i have done and seemed ok). Try to get into a wall socket so maybe by ethernet leads to suit the lengh between router and a homeplug (plugged into the wall), and downstairs homeplug and back of desktop computer.

They use mains wiring as a long piece of ethernet cable is best way of thinking of it.

£35 and come with 2 one metre leads, if they are long enough.

Easy stuff.

To be fair I have more expensive ones but just picked what came up on the list at the top.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Value-200Mbps-Home-Plug-Doub...

Getting a cable from upstairs to downstairs ( long ethernet lead) is the best way but a lot of messing around and hole drilling and cable clipping. Then even then a job where it shows maybe.

I could have done but for quickness when for the value white homeplugs on the link. Job done, works for me.

These ones above have a button you set encription up with so no one nextdoor with some can get on your internet.
I tried from our flat to next door and it did work so signal travels through electricity meters, ( said in manula it does not!), so lies. I got the laptop on ethernet cable going from my router her to next door so set up encription. On the ones above just a button push.

For the money and it work for you. So 30 or 40 something pound, job done and money well spent
(newbie) Sat 24-Mar-12 12:25:33
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately all my local Maplin stores didn't have one of these Homeplug kits in stock - nearest one is over an hour away.

So - for now - I've moved the wireless modem/router to the ground floor and used the 15m cable to route it to the ground floor PC.

I just need to check if the laptop on the second floor gets a decent wireless signal. If not, we'll have to move it to the foyer and this PC will need a network cable (instead of an ADSL cable) to link it to the modem.

I was wondering, I know I can't have two routers on the same line - can I have a USB modem working alongside a wireless modem router ? If so, I have a Speedtouch 330 modem which could be used for the downstairs PC.

I look forward to receiving your reply - or from others who can answer my question.

Regards,
Julia
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sat 24-Mar-12 12:36:35
Print Post

Hello

Still a modem so two things on the phone line is wrong. At least you got it going for now if computer upstairs picks up a signal.

Would do the homeplug thing when you can and take the router back upstairs.

seems the way to go.

Is the wireless card the good wireless n standard, Right click the connected thing on the availiable wilreless networks ( guessing bottom right hand corner), on windows anyway. Click staus. If more than 54mbs then the better wireless. Do this with computer near the router. What is the router wireless set to, go into the router web page interface. Details are on a label on the thing. Is on every router I have.
You want wireless N standard for the router wireless. Should be ok in a house if good wireless card on the laptop and something like on the link for the ebay card.

Could put the router in the middle floor and get a wilress card for the downstairs computer.

Can then get it all going but the homeplugs are good if dont need wireless.

Maybe something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-WIRELESS-N-WiFi-PCI-ADA...

Edited by Daniel_g (Sat 24-Mar-12 12:50:49)

Print Thread

Jump to