Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Mar-12 15:27:26
Print Post

Kindle query

[link to this post]

I have just acquired a Kindle which I share with my wife.I am trying to create one collection each and subfolders. However I am at a loss on how to move various bokks downloaded to the appropriate subfolders which I created via my laptop.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Mar-12 15:57:34
Print Post

Re: Kindle query

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Get the free opensource program Calibre ebook manager.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It has a ton of features, works with every e-book out there and you can even format shift books which can be very useful,
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Mar-12 16:01:41
Print Post

Connect the Kindle to your PC, as a further drive, View it thro' Explorer or whatever and cut and paste all the files relating to the same book from the Documents folder to the appropriate sub-folder of the Documents folder.

You may rename the files to make them clearer if you so wish, as I do, as long as you keep all the files for the same book with the same base name. This doesn't change the titles as they appear on Kindle; this is held within the book.

Do the moves before you add them to Collections, otherwise you will have to redo the Collections. Collections cannot be further subdivided, but I think you should be able to have a hierarchy of sub-folders if you wish. I just have a single level of Author sub-folders.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Wed 28-Mar-12 08:41:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for that informative reply.
I hadn't realised that you could use subfolders of the documents folder, and retain the Kindle normal view showing all the books in the subfolders.
Is there a good forum where one can find other such useful information?

Derek
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Apr-12 23:06:37
Print Post

Hi, I have followed your procedure. It works ok when one connects the kindle to the PC. The files on the kindle itself remain the same unaltered. What I wanted was re-arrangement of the files on the kindle itself, so that when I access the kinle (unattached to pc), I should find the files rearranged in the way I wanted. Perhaps it is not possible.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Apr-12 23:48:59
Print Post

I'm not sure what you mean.

The Kindle treats all the books (sets of files) in the Document folder however sub-foldered the same. Initially they all appear on the Home page.

By subdividing the books manually into the sub-folders, via the PC, makes no difference to the Kindle. It does not auto divide them into Collections based on their sub-folders, if that's what you mean.

As I said earlier, you have to make the Collections you want after you have subdivided them into sub-folders. There is no relationship between Collections and sub-folders. Sub-folders have no significance to the Kindle other than physical storage and are only useful for your own organisational purposes..

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Apr-12 12:53:41
Print Post

If one cannot re-arrange the files on the kindle in a manner suitable to one' taste and conveince, then I am afraid this is a drawback to use the kindle. There must be a way to manage the ebooks surely.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:33:05
Print Post

There is. Not been following this thread so so not sure what difficulty the OP has been having doing this. TBH I only have my books sorted into Read and Unread.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:56:06
Print Post

You started this thread, if you are the OP (best to register or at least sign a name to Anon posts), asking about sub-folders and how to move files about. I believe I have comprehensively answered that.

However, if you just want to share the Kindle with your wife and have some way of grouping your books, I would suggest you forget sub-folders. Just define a Collection for each author you read that has or will have more than one book and any remaining odd single-book authors to store under Collections for "You" or "Wife" and maybe for common books "Both of Us".

Sub-folders are only for organising the physical files on the drive if you are that way inclined.

Standard User pokchop1st
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:26:54
Print Post

Try this plenty of ideas here.
Kindle uk Forum

Perhaps this one.
Sorting books into collections

Edited by pokchop1st (Wed 04-Apr-12 14:30:42)

Print Thread

Jump to