Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gordonthi
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 22:33:41
Print Post

Very Old GPO Box Issue

[link to this post]

I'm trying to connect a new extension cable directly into a 40 years old GPO box which is the only telephone connection into my house. The GPO wires are orange, white? and green in that order from top middle and bottom. The new cable has 4 wires, black, red, green and yellow.

There is an extension already attached which provides my phone into another room but the wire colours seem just as old. It has orange connected to orange, blue connected to the whitish cable and green attached to green. It has an unconnected brown also.

Can anyone please help? How can I tell which cable gets connected to which? I have tried a few different ways and can connect but my bb speed is reduced to a third of normal.

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-12 22:51:20
Print Post

Re: Very Old GPO Box Issue

[re: gordonthi] [link to this post]

What are you trying to achieve by adding this extension ?

It sounds to me as if the cable you are trying to connect is one of those cheapo 'flat' ones, if so, they are no good to man nor beast.

It doesn't matter too much, as long as the same colours are terminated on the same terminations either end. It sounds as though the incoming cable is a drop wire, the orange will be the A leg, the white the B leg. Green, earth, possibly, if it's as old as you say.

The internal cable sounds correct also.

You *should* just need one pair in your new cable to connect to the orange wires, and one to to blue and white terminations.

What type of GPO box is it ?

Standard User gordonthi
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 23:02:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I am trying to set up my modem in another room from my existing telephone line. The cable worked ok when plugged into the socket but now the socket is too far away I was hoping to use the main GPO box. I realise it really needs completely renewed but was hoping to run this for a little while.

I don't know the different types of boxes but it is about the size of a box of swan vestas matches with rounded corners, One access screw in the centre with GPO around it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-12 23:26:20
Print Post

Ah, so you are trying to tee in before the main telephone socket. That's a no no.

Fit an extension from the existing socket, using a good quality cable.

Standard User ntm1275
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-12 00:03:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I had one of those old boxes until very recently

When BT came to fix an issue, the guy removed it and fitted a smaller white box along with a Master Socket

My old box was directly above the front door

Talk Talk Business up to 24meg LLU
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-12 00:08:41
Print Post

You should use CW1308 cable for telephone extensions. What you have sounds like alarm cable or similar.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 28-Apr-12 01:28:19
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT

Ensure it is solid copper and twisted in pairs of 0.5mm

If it doesn't specify solid copper it's probably because it is not. I have purchased CW1308 cable and lost a few meg on download, by ensuring it's 0.5mm solid copper I lose no speed what-so-ever.

I can vouch for this seller personally

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280844666425?ssPageName=ST...

That's for outdoor but they do indoor too.

Also don't attach to this GPO. Wire it into the TEST socket. Otherwise you are 'star wiring' which nobody wants to deliberately install.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-12 02:12:34
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

According to BT, their connectors accept conductors ranging from 0.4mm to 0.6mm. I've never seen anything but solid copper CW1308.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 12:52:20
Print Post

There is cheap copper coated aluminium CW1308 out there - it claims to meet the spec, but often does not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 17:26:31
Print Post

I bought a drum of CW1308 last summer, I thought it was cheaper than expected. Then found that it was MAGNETIC... Yup, CCS wire or Copper Coated Steel

I don't mind silver plated copper coated steel coax, where the steel is more for strength and at those frequencies skin effect keeps the signal in the silver, but not for ADSL or VDSL No thanks!

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to