Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 16:35:39
Print Post

Bios Update / Laptop

[link to this post]

I have a acer aspire 5715z laptop and have just installed windows 7 on it, trouble is all the drivers etc are for windows vista as i think that is what the laptop come with when it was first out in the shops, i want to see if there is a updated bios version for the laptop, the current one it has is v1.29, from what i can see on the site the version is at 1.43 now but it is only for vista, will it still work or is there a windows 7 one out there?.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-12 16:45:23
Print Post

Re: Bios Update / Laptop

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Updating the BIOS isn't going to help you, plus there is the risk of borking your machine if you get it wrong. You need to install Windows 7 drivers, either using Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User tomxlisa
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 16:49:36
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

But surely if the bios is so out of date then it needs updating, well is there a way of updating the bios, i have done many bios updates so that doesn't bother me, plus i have a fan control problem which i read on another forum that a bios update resolved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-12 16:57:22
Print Post

I would never update BIOS firmware as a matter of course but if your motherboard provides a factory-reset facility, then there is no risk. Updating the BIOS will not get old drivers working. You need Windows 7 drivers. Note that 64-bit drivers are not always available for older hardware.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
Standard User tomxlisa
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 16:59:12
Print Post

I don't want to update the bios for any other reason that to just update the bios and to see if it gets this fan problem sorted, the trouble is i cant find the bios updates for windows 7, or will the vista one work, if not is there a place i can get windows 7 bios updates for this laptop?.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sun 29-Apr-12 16:59:34)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:16:46
Print Post

BIOS updates aren't OS-specific. Just grab the latest BIOS firmware that is relevant to your machine.

Standard User tomxlisa
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:22:58
Print Post

That is what i thought, but when i looked on the acer website, it said bios version and then the windows version, this is the link

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_571...
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:30:12
Print Post

OK. Use the latest BIOS for Vista and let Windows Update deal with the drivers. If it can't find drivers for specific bits of hardware, then download them from the Acer site.

Standard User tomxlisa
(regular) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:36:49
Print Post

I did try using the vista bios update, but it said something about insydeflash can not load the driver.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:48:53
Print Post

Flashing a BIOS via Windows greatly increases the risk of messing things up badly!!!
Have a look around the Acer FTP server for the DOS based application. I'll post a link later.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to