Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Tue 22-May-12 09:26:47
Print Post

what printer

[link to this post]

I am looking at wireless printers. I am considering Kodak hero 9,1. However the reviews are not positive. Anybody willing to recommend one? The quility of print is not uppermost, but the fact it works without hassle or attention is important.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 16:15:50
Print Post

Re: what printer

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

I've recently set up a couple of HP wireless printers for a friend on Windows 7. Complete doddle. IIRC one was HP Photosmart 5510, can't remember the other.

Tony
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 22-May-12 16:56:20
Print Post

Re: what printer

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

The quality of print may not "be upermost" but you should decide whether you want to be able to print true photographic quality (even rarely) as, if so, you need a printer with at 4 or 5 colours (standard cyan, magenta and yellow with either a photo colour (HP use a sort of brown one these days) or two extra colours which are designed to produce flesh tones).

Will you primarily wish to print mainly black and does the speed matter?

Do you want an all in one (print, scan, photocopy)?

REMEMBER the printer manufacturer never makes money on the printer - they make money on consumables.

If their is any significant volume of printing you want IMHO a printer with seperate cartridges for each colour but remember that the cartridges supplied with the printer are special ones which dont last long at all (HP nowadays claim they are special inks specially for first use!!!).

It can be worth looking at ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc looking for bargains or looking on Amazon etc. The expensive printers tend to have facilities you will probably never use - my HP printer will print images emailed to it and will download lots of maps, tourist guides etc from the internet - I wouldnt have bought it for these facilities but it was £20 for an excellent printer!

Consider whether you will be buying genuine cartridges, compatibles or refurbished / refilled - it can make a difference. Epson printers and some HP ones (certainly those using the HP364 series cartridges) have the print head built into the printer making the cartridges (especially compatibles) cheaper.

There is no "right" or "best" choice, only devices to be amended or not suitable for your requirements.

I use a Brother laser printer for black printing and an HP e-photosmart all in one for colour / copying etc but I do work for HP and can get genuine cartridges via the staff purchase scheme.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to