Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bryn
(committed) Tue 29-May-12 18:41:28
Print Post

Clone HD using Acronis

[link to this post]

I'm planning to add a 1TB SATA HD to my PC, and intend to clone the existing 250GB Drive 0 using Acronis, which is already installed on the machine. I will then use Acronis to wipe the 250GB drive and use it as a third drive on the machine ( there is another 250GB data drive).

Is Acronis smart enough to scale up all the partitions to fill the 1TB or will Partition Magic have a few hours work afterwards to do this?

Do SATA drives have any of those fiddly little links to determine whether they are master or slaves, and if not, how does the system determine which is the master?

The system is running Windows XP.

Thanks for any advice - I'm a bit rusty on this!

--
Bryn
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 20:51:29
Print Post

Re: Clone HD using Acronis

[re: bryn] [link to this post]

I can't help with Acronis, but SATA drives are one per cable, so no fiddly bits to worry about. Windows will normaly use SATA1 for the boot device.

I would suggest not wiping the current drive0 until you know the new one is working correctly.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-May-12 21:10:54
Print Post

I've had generally poor experiences with doing this kind of thing with Acronis and Windows XP. I'm not going to blame Acronis exclusively because some of it may be due to limitations of Windows XP. Sometimes you end up with a poorer performing system.

I have to recommend a fresh installation of Windows for the best performance realistically.

Is it just one partition on the system or multiple? This is where you problems with expanding partitions start..

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 29-May-12 21:19:08
Print Post

I have used Acronis for pure cloning from 70GB to 300GB or 150GB to 750GB drives without partitions. All worked fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-12 21:28:55
Print Post

When cloning a disk it is better to make a bootable CD and use that to clone as opposed to cloning Windows when it's actually running.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User bryn
(committed) Tue 29-May-12 21:44:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have multiple partitions on the HD (i.e. about 6 virtual drives, one of which has Windows XP), hence the question about whether Acronis will expand each of the partitions or whether it will just leave 750GB unallocated.

How about the fiddly link thingies - don't they appear on SATA HDs? And how will I ensure the new disk is treated as master?

Yes I know I should ideally install XP from scratch, but now where did I put the motherboard drivers for my now-extinct motherboard? etc etc, not to mention the aggro of reinstalling all those many applications cluttering up the current HD smile This is not my super fast up to date PC; it's just the one I actually do everything on.

--
Bryn
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-May-12 00:38:11
Print Post

I had similar issues with one PC.

I ran teh Clone ... so I know I had copies of everything. Then went through and did various clean-ups, deleted caches, histories and temp files 0- a real massive "clear out". Then did a "windows repair" which sped things up. Followed that with updates to all major applications ... Another "clear out" and finally a Disk Defrag. The original HDD is still in store just in case and could act as a recovery if required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jul-12 16:31:49
Print Post

check that the xp installation on the 250gb hdd has sata support added as xp didn't at one stage support sata .

My Blog .......... here (still in dev mode)
Me twittering go add
Standard User roughbeast
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 17:19:00
Print Post

I have performed this an number of times, but using an Acronis back up image stored on an external hard disc.

Having replaced my backed up hard disc with a new one I then boot from my Acronis rescue disc and restored the back up to the new disc. This way you do not have to copy / clone your disc from within Windows. If your new disc is on SATA 1 Acronis will complete the job properly.

Just occasionally you might find that your partition is still the original size of your old disc. You can put this right using disc management tools found in XP or W7 with having to format again.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
  Print Thread

Jump to