Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 15:28:43
Print Post

Problem with cooling

[link to this post]

I have a Toshiba Satellite P750/755 W7 laptop. For a while now I have been getting an error:

Warning: a problem has been detected with the cooling system. please switch off device and return for service

I used an airduster and blew a load of dust out of the fans and this worked okay for a little while. Now the error has appeared again and I have tried to use an airduster to clear it out but very little came out.

I have searched the error on google but there does not seem to be any real reason as to why it does it as some people report having the laptop replaced and they get the same error message. The built in software shows the fan speed and the temp. Sometimes when I switch it on the fan does not come on. I have to reboot before it will start up.

Any one have any ideas? It is still under warranty so only option mught be to take it back for repair. I have reinstalled the original factory image to see if that might help.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 21-Jun-12 15:39:57
Print Post

Re: Problem with cooling

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

In the Toshiba forums a couple of suggestions are to de-install the value added package. Means nothing to me, might mean something to you.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshootin...
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 21-Jun-12 15:41:57
Print Post

Are you getting excessiv CPU load to generate this?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Fri 22-Jun-12 07:30:22
Print Post

Just fwii...

My HP laptop shut down on me twice recently due to overheating. On both occasions it was rendering video at the time and I imagine CPU was running at or close to100%. I've 'throttled' max CPU usage to 90% and it hasn't happened again since. Takes a few minutes longer to complete but at least it worked.

I give it a 'blow through' and clean the fan ducts regularly and it always stands on a, 'Akasa' cooler but it wasn't enough to keep the temp down!
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 09:35:34
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

It can happen at any time. I could be playing games or I could just be browsing.

The one thing that i did see from John's link was that if you are using the laptop on your lap then it can block the fan inlet and this can cause the problem.

I finished off the reinstall of the OS last night but haven't used it properly yet to test.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 09:57:59
Print Post

Despite what they're called, a laptop should never be used on one's lap or on soft furniture, bedding etc for any length of time. I use a "beanbag laptray" of the type shown here. They're available in poundshop type stores for a mere couple of quid.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 22-Jun-12 10:55:10
Print Post

I echo Deadbeat's comments. Not only can vents get blocked, but it can make things a little uncomfortable.

My laptop (four years old now) gets very hot if the CPU and/or GFX chip gets loaded for extended periods (games). If I plan to use it for a while, I generally prop the thing up at the back on a couple of post-it pads or similar to allow some air space between the desk and the vents on the bottom.

Really. They're not designed for desktop-like use. Nowadays I tend to use it as an emergency PC to troubleshoot main PC problems.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 22-Jun-12 11:14:49
Print Post

its odd that i come across this thread today, as last night for the first time my laptop of the same model also gave me that error message, the odd thing is the laptop itself felt cool so i installed some checkers and the fan speed and core temps were all perfectly normally.

I will monitor over the weekend but apepars to be a buggy message.
Standard User JonasTone
(learned) Fri 22-Jun-12 12:35:29
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The best way to fix over heating issues is to strip the laptop down and put some fresh cpu paste on. However this will require some expertise in the finer working points of a laptop, similar issues 2 years ago, cleaned and re pasted, no issues since.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 12:57:40
Print Post

[re: JonasTone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JonasTone:
The best way to fix over heating issues is to strip the laptop down and put some fresh cpu paste on. However this will require some expertise in the finer working points of a laptop, similar issues 2 years ago, cleaned and re pasted, no issues since.

I'd second that but it's no job for the uninitiated.
  Print Thread

Jump to