Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:12:58
Print Post

memory, main board or CPU?

[link to this post]

Been having a few problems with BSoD over the last few weeks, TBH, I have been having small problems for a while.

Some BSOD comes up with NTFS.sys, and the last couple came up with something about memory management or manager.

I thought maybe it was the main board as now and again I keep losing the hard drive, reinstalled windows from scratch and still had the same problem, change drivers and still had the same problem.

when I had the memory manager error I used Memtest86, the first test with all memory in had errors, so I tested each one at a time, the first stick I tried came up with errors so i put it aside tested the others and all was fine. Decided to put the first stick back in just in case it was not in correctly, came up fine with no errors.
Put all memory in again and tested, all was fine.

so according to memtest86, all is fine.

Maybe the memory problem was just a lose stick and i have solved that, and maybe the other problem with losing hard drives and NTFS.sys errors is the main problem,.

I know AMD Phenom II chips got the memory controller on the chip and not on the main board, but if there was a problem with the board I presume that could cause problems with memory, if that was the problem.

At the moment the machine is stable, my browser seems to be ok, it used to crash by now.

So not sure if it is my motheboard, CPU or memory, I have ordered a Asrock board, i like Asrock, maybe I ordered it too soon.

any good free test software to test out the machine?

thanks

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY broadband
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:18:51
Print Post

Re: memory, main board or CPU?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Sandra lite. Use the seperate tests to stress test the components.

Prime 95 for CPU stress testing.

Monitor temps and see if the memory and/or gfx is hot (assuming you have accurate temp probes). Might even be a chipset heat issue. In need of a dusting?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jun-12 22:09:04
Print Post

Re: memory, main board or CPU?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

i forgot about prime 95, thanks for that. computer been on since i went to work at 2.30 and it still fine, normally it would crash even if idling. i don the stress test and all was fine. i wonder if I got a new board for nothing now, oh well it is a better board anyway, this board can be used for something else.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to