Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jsharpe30
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:30:48
Print Post

AMD or Intel??

[link to this post]

Hey, I'm looking to build a PC for recording music with Cubase 5 and doing school work, browsing the internet etc. I'm not much of a PC gamer but might look into it in the future (the only games i play on pc at the moment are browser based). Should I go for an Intel or AMD processor?
Standard User scopio
(learned) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:00:43
Print Post

Re: AMD or Intel??

[re: jsharpe30] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jsharpe30:
Should I go for an Intel or AMD processor?

Depends how much you want to spend! The latest Quad Core CPU's from Intel are quite expensive and double to what the latest Quad Core CPU's from AMD are! The theres the compatability with the motherboard to consider, AMD are more back compatible with motherboard sockets than Intel are with Intel compartible motherboards! Having said that, the speed of the Intel CPU's cannot be matched by AMD CPU's.

AMD or Intel has been and continue to be a hot potatoe!

You build the computer that you can most afford, the choice is yours!
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 18:31:59
Print Post

Don't listen to AMD vs Intel (or even Mac for that matter). It's all down to the software, hardware and budget.

Check out:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Drum up a budget for each part based on your overall budget, paying attention to recording hardware over other hardware. You get what you pay for.

If you're talking mastering, check out recording.org. In fact, here's a good starter thread smile :

http://recording.org/diy-mastering/52750-top-10-diy-...

If for copying loads of music to disc, then more than one optical drive.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jun-12 22:06:02
Print Post

A decent spec AMD or Intel based machine will cope with cubase 5, I use a AMd machine for video editing.

At the lower end of the price range you get more for your money with AMd, but if you want to pay more then Intel as much as I hate to say it got the edge.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY broadband
Standard User scopio
(learned) Sat 30-Jun-12 23:22:58
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
It's all down to the software, hardware and budget.

Like I said "You get the pc you can afford, the choice is yours"

If you want to have the thrill and satisfaction of building the pc yourself research the hardware, this could take weeks, if not months, or buy a decent high end pc according to you budget.

I'm sure there will be many who will want to have there say in all of this here!

THE CHOICE IS AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE YOURS
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 13:22:37
Print Post

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2012/0...

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Sun 01-Jul-12 13:23:35)

Standard User JonasTone
(learned) Sun 01-Jul-12 15:01:07
Print Post

Being a AMD fanboy for many years i recently upgraded and found that the the intel i5 better suited what i wanted to do and out performed 6 core amd processors hands down for gaming. I was totally pleased with my upgrade and know people who payed out the a$$ for 6 core bulldozer AMDs and were disappointed, IMHO an i5 2500K is a brilliant CPU @ core speeds of 3.3Ghz and turbo mode 3.7Ghz. Mine is easily overclocked to 4.4Ghz with a Zalman CNPS9900 Cooler(air) with my 2xHD6870s i get amazing performance on BF3 and the like, and even if you dont game now, the i5 is a good future investment.
  Print Thread

Jump to