Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:28:46
Print Post

Wi-Fi Adapters

[link to this post]

It appears the wi-fi adapter on my laptop has bitten the dust. It can no longer see any of the handful of networks around here it normally does including mine. Pretty sure it is not a router problem as my phone can still see and connect to my network.

I have tried resetting the adapter and settings as suggested by Windows Diagnose and Repair to no avail. Anything else I could try? Would re-installing Windows help?

Failing that I am thinking of plugging in an external adapter. I feel inclined to get a PCMIA card adapter if for no other reason than it is a slot that is otherwise doing nothing rather than use up one of my three USB slots. Any advice on this? Any recommendations? I have a Netgear 834GT router so I am inclined to get a Netgear adapter to avoid possible compatibility issues.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:34:13
Print Post

Re: Wi-Fi Adapters

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Are you sure it's turned on, on the hardware side? My laptop has a switch for the wireless & I remember being puzzled for a stretch when my 4 year old turned it off. smile

Failing that, try using a Linux Live CD to see if it can connect before re-installing Windows.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:40:41
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Good point. There is a button which appears to be wi-fi on/off. It is currently flashing intermiittently orange but I think it should be flashing green if all was OK.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:56:15
Print Post

Has the driver recently been updated, perhaps by an automatic update? May be worth regressing the driver and see what happens.

Tony
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:58:55
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Tried that.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 00:03:47
Print Post

If it has died, replacement is relatively simple. the adapter is usually located under a hatch in a slot in the same way that memory is.
Just ensure that you remember which way the antenna leads go.
If you have any difficulty in locating one, I have several cards here. I think they're all b/g but hey..... It's free!
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 09:59:28
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Ta for that I have replaced the HHD before but I was assuming the wi-adaptor was welded to the motherboard. I will have a look see. Failing that I have a vague memory of using a PCMIA card with my old laptop and which may be buried at in a box of bits and pieces, so I will give that a go - may be only b though, not even g.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 10:26:10
Print Post

Didn't find the PCMIA card but did find an old USB stick, a Netgear WG111T which connects at 108Mbps using what I think is Netgear's provisional take on the N standard before it was ratified. A bit sticky outy though so replacing the internal adaptor would be the way to go. So what Netgear model is the internal version of the WG111T or the equivalent model these days?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User flippery
(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:39:14
Print Post

What does it say about wireless adapter in the Device manager.
Most laptops these days have the Wireless chip embedded in motherboard.
Problem could be antenna connection but unless you are OK with dismantling Laptop. Easier to use PCMCIA card. Cheap as chips on Ebay. USB easier to dislodge.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:50:49
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
What does it say about wireless adapter in the Device manager.
Most laptops these days have the Wireless chip embedded in motherboard.
Problem could be antenna connection but unless you are OK with dismantling Laptop. Easier to use PCMCIA card. Cheap as chips on Ebay. USB easier to dislodge.

All the laptops I have seen in the last few years have the wireless as a plug in Mini PCI-E card which is easily replaced.

PCMCIA works but it is still a pain as part of it still sticks out. Better than USB though.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity, install date Friday 10th August!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to