Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Aug-12 06:43:14
Print Post

Increase memory on mini computer?

[link to this post]

I have a Dell Inspiron mini (10" screen) which I take abroad to connect to the Internet and also do a bit of wordprocessing etc. It only has 1GB memory and I'd like to put some more in but the Crucial scanner tells me that 1GB is the maximum. Is there any other way to get more memory into this computer? It works really well when it wants to, but I'm now getting 'High Memory use by Internet Explorer' messages from Norton and it is freezing occasionally. I've defragged etc. and cleared all the temp files.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User flippery
(regular) Fri 03-Aug-12 07:47:53
Print Post

Re: Increase memory on mini computer?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

1) Iwould ditch Nortons and use a lower usage anti virus. Free MSE from microsoft would suffice.
2) type msconfig in search box and uncheck any startup programs not being used.
3) Whilst defrag and removing temp tiles will help search. Does nothing for memory usage.
4) google chrome and oper web browsers are also less memory intensive.
5) I aasume you are on XP, windows 7 would be a killer.

Edited by flippery (Fri 03-Aug-12 09:35:57)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 03-Aug-12 08:10:57
Print Post

Crucial indicate 2GB is possible but it depends on the exact model - some have the 1GB soldered in http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Inspiron+...

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNtkGzqn3k

Win 7 supports Readyboost which can use flash memory http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Aug-12 10:02:15
Print Post

A gig should be plenty for XP but the three Mini 10's that I've seen happilly accepted 2gig.
As others have said, use something (CCleaner?) to see what's loaded at startup and disable everything that's not needed or wanted. If you want to post a HJT log, I'll have a look at it and tell you what you don't need. A lighter AV would probably help.
Another point with these Dell Mini's is that some were fitted with inferior and slow SSD's so replacing yours with something respectable might help a great deal.
With OEM boxes I usually image the drive with Acronis or similar, delete all partitions and then reinstall from scratch. Of course, to do this you'll need an external USB CD drive or XP Home OEM SP3 on a bootable USB pen.
Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 14:53:30
Print Post

I have a Dell Inspiron 1011 netbook and use a Crucial 2GB stick in it.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Aug-12 04:23:41
Print Post

[re: petsy] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. The mini 10 was sold as the 1010 and the 1010v apparently. The former is the one I have and has 1GB soldered in; the latter has an upgradeable 1GB stick. Oh well......Can anyone recommend a similar netbook with more memory and Win7? I've also seen that there is memory that can be plugged into a USB port. I've never seen much about it though, so presumably it's not very good. I've used the Crucial tool to scan a lot of systems and have then bought the recommended memory from them - I can vouch for its usefulness, even if it does give bad news as in this instance.
I'll do a HJT scan and post the log sometime to see if you guys can spot anything nasty. I have disabled most of the startups via MsConfig but they still seem to be loading in a fairly random way.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Aug-12 09:21:37
Print Post

Before scanning with HJT, ensure that you re-enable everything that you disabled via MSConfig.
  Print Thread

Jump to