Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Aug-12 05:39:55
Print Post

Waking from Sleep

[link to this post]

My laptop has suddenly started refusing to wake up when I move the mouse or press a key. It does respond to a tap on the power button though. I have just installed the recent updates - could there be a connection? Not a major problem, but I'm just interested to know why this might happen.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 10:26:26
Print Post

Re: Waking from Sleep

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

So is it a change in default power settings?

I wouldnt expect mouse movement or pressing a key to wake it up from true sleep (standby).

Has it not just been screen power off it was responding to mouse and keyboard to and now it is true "sleep".

There are different levels of power saving - assuming you are using Windows 7 you adjust the settings by right clicking on the power lead / battery icon in the systray and follow options from there.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 21-Aug-12 11:34:05
Print Post

Re: Waking from Sleep

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

I'm interested also, because I would rather have to touch the power button than press a key or move the mouse to come out of standby (sleep) - that's with both XP and Win7 desktops, with a XP laptop I do have to press the power button though.

BTW. All three machines require a password to resume from standby.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to