Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 27-Sep-12 22:29:55
Print Post

what constitute "turning off a device" on an aircraft ?

[link to this post]

I have been recently on an aircraft, and on taking off I put my device on flight mode. However somebody sitting next to me said that is not enough. It ought to be " off" completly which is equivalent to shut down on a computer. I am not sure how you can do that on a mobile phone, other than putting it in flight mode. Any ideas on this subject. In fact I was told to turn off my kindle ebook. I cannot sea how an ebook can disturb an aircraft.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:33:49
Print Post

Re: what constitute "turning off a device" on an aircraft ?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I would certainly turn off the wireless side of an e-book reader. Should be sufficient.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:34:08
Print Post

If Nokia, Apple, whatever, were selling phones with their "Aircraft mode" feature yet when turned on still caused problems with aircraft I think we would have heard about it by now.

It sounds like the passenger you were sitting next to was just being a busybody.

I guess what they probably meant was put it in flight mode then power it down totally and/or remove battery, as opposed to put it in flight mode and play angry birds, or whatever.

It's a bit like the mobile phones at petrol stations thing isn't it.

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:45:44
Print Post

It ought to be " off" completly which is equivalent to shut down on a computer. I am not sure how you can do that on a mobile phone,

Err, turn the whole thing off, as in switch off.

Standard User chris6273
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 23:05:46
Print Post

As long as your device was in "Flight Mode" then it should be fine.

The somebody who was sitting next to you was just being a busybody as Pipexer mentioned.

That's why Flight Mode present on most modern portable devices - It disables all of its communication technologies (3g .etc) and its WiFi capability so it doesn't interfere with Aircraft equipment.

As long as it is in this mode, it won't make a difference whether if it's on or off because it doesn't have the ability to transmit or receive any data or cause a disturbance to anything on the aircraft (Apart from maybe certain people who get over-worried about such things and don't know how they work).

If it was such a bad thing, then I'm sure we would have seen numerous articles over the internet every day regarding such an issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Sep-12 23:41:32
Print Post

I regularly travel on FlyBe and this is part of their take off announcement. You are supposed to put the device into flight mode and then turn the device off before take off. When the seat belts sign goes off, you can then turn the device on obviously still in flight mode. This strikes me as ridiculous.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Sep-12 23:50:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

To be fair to the airlines the taking off is not being "in flight" so you can see why different rules apply.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Sep-12 23:57:07
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

One day, during a short delay waiting for take off, the pilot said that he had been a passenger on a earlier flight and he had sat up the back. He said he was shocked at how many people simply ignored the announcement and kept their devices on. He was quite insistent that the rules should be followed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 28-Sep-12 17:47:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Have had the same on most flights I have been on this year. Turn to flight mode, then physically off for takeoff and landings.

IanD
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Sep-12 18:18:19
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I've had different experiences based on the airline.

Last year I went to America on Virgin Atlantic. "Airplane mode" was not sufficient and they wanted the devices completely off.

Thomas Cook a week ago to Spain were quite happen with that mode and didn't require the devices completely off.

Possibly just a misunderstanding, or that some airlines just want to be safer than sorry, and remove any possibility of the mode not being correctly applied.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to