Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 04:54:04
Print Post

I had to move to usb keyboard

[link to this post]

seems PS2 almost dead now, spent 2 hours trying to find a good PS2 keyboard and couldnt so had to give in and USB is on order.

Hopefully it wont have issues accessing bios etc.

I would have eventually had to do this anyway as I expect next time I upgrade my pc I will have to use a motherboard with one less PS2 port.

Also I noticed some keyboards now have a small enter key?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 24-Oct-12 06:21:51
Print Post

Re: I had to move to usb keyboard

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
seems PS2 almost dead now, spent 2 hours trying to find a good PS2 keyboard and couldnt so had to give in and USB is on order.

Hopefully it wont have issues accessing bios etc.

I would have eventually had to do this anyway as I expect next time I upgrade my pc I will have to use a motherboard with one less PS2 port.

could you not just use a £1 PS2 to USB adapter if you like to use PS2 that much, then again ive never had a problem entering bios with usb, usb to ps2 or ps2 its self so i dont think ull have much of a prob TBH

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 07:46:52
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Or if you still have a PC with a PS2 port then presumably it will have limited USB connectivity so a USB hub would be a good buy.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:59:53
Print Post

At quick glance, there appear to be 472 PS2 Keyboards on Amazon incl. HP Standard Keyboard - PS/2 - Silver / Black - £14.71

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 18:37:36
Print Post

USB keyboards have been able to access the bios for a few years now. it is normally when you go into dos or if you do F8 on windows you may have problems, but there is normally a option in the bios to enable usb for that.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
USB keyboards have been able to access the bios for a few years now.
No USB keyboad has been able to access the Bios on my PC for the last few years.

If the OP's PC is as old as mine, then a PS2 keyboard is the only option.

although I agree with posts about adapters, and search engines etc.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:08:08
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In Windows XP (and before) days, PS/2 had a number of advantages over USB. It didn't use up precious USB ports, it didn't draw power from the USB ports which often got quite flaky with multiple devices plugged in, it didn't have problems getting into BIOS or Windows setup but another major advantage of using PS/2 was there was usually less input lag and better responsiveness when using it compared to USB.

Over the past few years though all those points are no longer the case with modern equipment and operating systems, even the opposite.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:09:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

Yes, it's not amusing at all.

If you want an old-skool type of keyboard check out the accuratus range http://www.accuratus.co.uk/

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 25-Oct-12 07:28:28
Print Post

Shocking! You will also be devastated to know that wheneger you upgrade it you new PC is unlikely to have a parallel port, serial port or a place for hitching your hoese. laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 13:29:18
Print Post

I'm hoping my PS2 keyboard and mouse keep going for a while yet, not because I have any great love for them but if I go USB I'll need a new KVM switch and cables as well and that's when it starts to get pricey smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to