Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Oct-12 16:56:14
Print Post

Re: Overclocked / Won't Switch On

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

I think you may of fried it, what voltages and cpu you trying to overclock? Is it still in warranty, may be able to get it replaced claiming ignorant to the fact that you fried it lol

Been trying to get my i2500k to 5ghz, it wont do it though, tried 4.8 still wont, it sits quite comfortably at 4.5 though, with 1.37 on the vcore no other battery tweaks needed.

EDIT actually this prompted me to try for 4.8ghz again, running stable in prine95 for an hour nearly, will leave it temps getting towards mid 80s at some points though, thats with an artic freezer pro h/s.

Edited by benbird7 (Sat 27-Oct-12 17:21:57)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Oct-12 19:38:11
Print Post

Do you have a spare processor? If so, swap it out.
Standard User tomxlisa
(member) Sun 28-Oct-12 00:39:36
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I don't have another cpu to try which is a shame, it hasn't turned out too bad though as i had already bought upgrade bits for my tower case which involved a new cpu/motherboard etc, so i have taken the old motherboard and cpu out now ready for the new bits to arrive, if i have fried the cpu would it have damaged anything else in the computer, i have just bought a new drive and hoping it hasn't damaged that too, what about the psu, would that damage also by trying to overclock?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomxlisa
(member) Sun 28-Oct-12 00:41:10
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

I think i may have done, it has turned out ok though as i had already ordered new upgrade bits for my computer so just means i am using my laptop for now, i am getting the intel i3 but i don't think i will bother to overclock again after what has happened, it is strange though as i have overclocked before but never done this, maybe it was cause i messed with the voltages.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 01:18:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
maybe it was cause i messed with the voltages.

That's the best way to fry a CPU. You also need to have a decent HSF and/or good airflow to match the voltage increases. My only successful overclock (I don't have the kit for messing much) is my current setup, but I did a fair bit of research before overclocking it. It was also an 'easy' overclock as far as overclocks go, in that the CPU was known for having the potential.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Oct-12 08:05:12
Print Post

The PSU should be OK..... They are pretty resilient. However, the graphics card and possibly memory may have sustained damage.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:26:58
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

overclocked mu i2500k to 4.8 ghz, using only 1.35 volts on the vcore. Prime been running all night for 15hours, woot!

This GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 is a bad boy for overclocking with a i2500k!

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:34:27
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

Perhaps now is the time to suggest you have a look at some statistics published by Microsoft Research as to how much instability overclocking introduces! smile

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Oct-12 14:52:26
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

IT works, and runs at 4.8ghz, core temps are fine, I don't think theres going to be any issues here. I see something about windows 8 having issues but I'm not bothering with that waste of time os.

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Oct-12 20:34:57
Print Post

Did you get it fixed or identify the fault?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to