Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 07:37:12
Print Post

Uneven lighting on Kindle Paperwhite...normal?

[link to this post]

Hi
Finally decided to move into the 21st century and buy my first ever ebook reader. Received my Kindle Paperwhite (wifi only) yesterday and just noticed that the lighting is very uneven at the bottom...its like someone has left 4 equally spaced fingerprints. Reading this article it appears this is normal for the paperwhite, however when i called up Kindle support they they said its not normal and have agreed to send me a replacement. Am i i likely to get this 'issue' on the replacement?
Cheers

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 04-Dec-12 07:38:17)

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Tue 04-Dec-12 10:31:39
Print Post

Re: Uneven lighting on Kindle Paperwhite...normal?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Unfortunately you will generally find this to be the case with cheap knock off copies of the only decent tablet/ereader out there.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:12:39
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

I know I shouldn't ask but "which one"?

I have a Sony eboot reader and find it is brilliant - an e-ink device so a passive device and multiple open standards (not tied to Amazon) which is exactly what I want.

Others are happy to use the Kindle formats (tied to Amazon) or to use backlit devices (i.e. pads) but these are not for me.

Am I bothered - no - I have the device that suits me!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:22:23
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Others are happy to use the Kindle formats (tied to Amazon)
What makes you think that the Kindle format is tied to Amazon?

Many of my eBooks, which I read using a Kindle, come free from Project Gutenberg, and I've also had a few from other sites (listed on Amazon as sources of free eBooks...)

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 18:45:23
Print Post

I agree. There is nothing to touch e-ink for a reading device. I love my iPad but, when it comes to reading ebooks, my Sony is just in a different league.
Standard User longedge
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:19:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

"Many of my eBooks, which I read using a Kindle, come free "

Quite so! I also regularly make use of the facility to email various documents to the email address associated to my Kindle and convert them to ebook format in the process. Works really well.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:49:13
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I've never used that option, don't Amazon make a charge for using that address? (Me skinflint tongue)

I use that invaluable little app Calibre, I regard it as an essential adjunct to the program.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:54:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Yes - Kindle reads non DRM formats "free" books but I thought that the only "bought" books were in the Kindle format so you effectivly had to buy them from Amazon?
Don't disllke Amazon (corporation tax is between them and HRMC) but the concept of never owning the e-books never appealed to me.

The Sony e-reader is brilliant! The touch screen is what I really like - Kindle didnt have it then and when I tried the kindle I wanted to swipe the pages as I was used to with Android.

The only downside with e-book readers so far as I am concerned is that you can't read them in the bath ;-( Shame that!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:16:48
Print Post

Don't disllke Amazon (corporation tax is between them and HRMC) but the concept of never owning the e-books never appealed to me.
A simple plugin into Calibre allows you to convert the e-book into a different format, thus 'owning' the book smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:18:09
Print Post

Yes - Kindle reads non DRM formats "free" books but I thought that the only "bought" books were in the Kindle format so you effectivly had to buy them from Amazon?
No, the books from Gutenburg are in Kindle (MOBI) format (as well as many other formats), anyone can use it.

I think you're misunderstanding how the DRM works... essentially, Amazon have made owning an ebook as much as possible like owning a "real" one. It can only be read on the Kindle associated with the account, just as you only have one copy of a book. It can be transferred to another Kindle, but then it will stop working on the first one. You can even lend it to someone else for a while- whilst they've got it you can't read it, just like a real book.

There's no question of your not owning it.

Unlike real books however, if you accidentally delete it (or the Kindle goes belly up and you lose the lot) you still own it/them and can download again for free.

I think it works well, and unless it's someone's intent to deprive authors of their copyright income then it's perfectly fair.

All that only applies to books you pay for of course, you can do as you like with the free ones as the copyright on those has either expired or been waived.

(That's only in the US, ideally you should check the UK copyright position before downloading from a US site)

edit- I'm not knocking the Sony or any other e-reader, I just like the Kindle smile

Bill

Edited by billford (Tue 04-Dec-12 21:22:21)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to