Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:10:40
Print Post

Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook?

[link to this post]

Hi
Sorry still new to this ebook lark but have just installed Calibre and would be nice to share with friends/family my Kindle Paperwhite ebooks in pdf (or other ebook) format. According to this i can remove the Kindle DRM using a calibre plugin and freely convert my Kindle ebooks to whatever format i require. But is it legal to do this? If not, why? My Kindle ebooks cost almost the same as the hard copies, surely i should be able to do what i want with the ebooks since i own them? I know others can read my purchased Kiindle ebooks using the Kindle for PC app but i do NOT want to do this. I guess removing DRM and then mass-sharing ebooks via torrents, rapidshare etc would be illegal but interested to know if the same applies when sharing amongst friends or family, just like i could with a real book (obviously one at a time).
Cheers

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:22:28
Print Post

Re: Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
But is it legal to do this?
No.
If not, why?
Copyright law, it's in an ebook and it's also printed inside a hardcopy book.
My Kindle ebooks cost almost the same as the hard copies, surely i should be able to do what i want with the ebooks since i own them?
But you can't do as you like with a hardcopy book... You can let other people read them in your home or you can lend them the actual book, and then you can't read it until you get it back.

Same applies to ebooks from Amazon.

One thing you definitely can't do legally with a hard copy book is photocopy it and give the copies away- that's essentially what you would doing with an ebook if you removed the DRM and gave copies away.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:39:52
Print Post

Yes, it's ok to remove DRM in this country. The copyright industry will not take action against copying for personal use, however your proposed use is not personal use so probably violates copyright.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:42:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The copyright industry will not take action against copying for personal use...
That doesn't automatically make it legal, but it's a fair point.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:56:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for explaining Bill

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:05:15
Print Post

After I'd posted that I thought of another (possibly better) analogy- when you buy a book then yes, you own the book- the paper, ink, glue in the binding, the gold leaf on the cover if that's your thing tongue

And yes, you can do as you like with it, from putting it in a bank vault to hanging the pages on a nail in the smallest room.

But the reason you bought the book, ie the content (story, pictures, recipes whatever) - that still belongs to the copyright holder.

An ebook is pure content!

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:20:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I had a thought (it happens sometimes tongue) and had a look at the copyright notice in a book I happened to have to hand.

it included the following:
... shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent...
So it would seem that my comment that it could be lent was wrong, and that most charity shops, church bazaars etc are routinely breaking the law crazy

Bill
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:48:11
Print Post

surely i should be able to do what i want with the ebooks since i own them?
I think you'll find that you have licensed the content, rather than "bought" it.

Amazon have pulled books from Kindle remotely, including (ironically) Orwell's 1984.

"Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use."

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Dec-12 18:22:03
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Kindle books can be loaned to another reader for a period of 14 days. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle -- Kindle books can also be read using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Not all books are lendable -- it is up to the publisher or rights holder to determine which titles are eligible for lending. The lender will not be able to read the book during the loan period. Books can only be loaned once, and subscription content is not currently available for lending.
It's all getting a bit complex.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 08-Dec-12 18:51:07
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Amazon have pulled books from Kindle remotely, including (ironically) Orwell's 1984.
I think they got rapped over the knuckles for it too, though I don't know the details.

Quite right too, "permanent" does not mean "until we change our mind" mad

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to