Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:24:25
Print Post

Colour printer sought - wireless + CD printing

[link to this post]

I'm looking out for a colour printer, presumably ink jet.

It needs to be connectible via wireless, it needs to be able to print on (printable) CDs and DVDs.

It does not need to be a multifunction unit.

I can find wireless, CD printing, multifunction printers but, at the moment, cannot find anything that's is just a printer.

Any suggestions?

Tony
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 16:07:14
Print Post

Re: Colour printer sought - wireless + CD printing

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Given the absence of replies to this, how easy is it to take an ordinary USB connected printer and 'wireless' it?

That then gives me more choice over the printer.

Tony
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Sun 09-Dec-12 17:20:25
Print Post

A recent PC Pro review of printers remarked that very few manufacturers still do printer-only products - I guess it's the drive to 'upspec' things and that for most home users an all-in-one is a far better purchase. Canon still do printer only products, try a few of the review sites (eg PC Pro itself) or get an all-in-one for very little extra cost

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sun 09-Dec-12 18:21:08
Print Post

Apart from agreeing with Andy's comments, I am not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Is it a printer that will accept actual physical CDs and DVDs, printing directly on them, in a manner similar to the commercial CDs etc on sale in shops such as HMV, Virgin etc

or is it a printer capable of printing on to pre-cut, adhesive, paper labels, typical of home produced CDs.

If it is the first, ie directly on to the physical CD disks, I suspect that it would be very costly, no matter which way it actually handles them.

It would have to be of a flat-bed or similar variety, an alternative being some form of silk-screen printing; because of the rigid nature of the discs.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-12 18:58:54
Print Post

I have tried direct printing onto "printable" CDs and the results were far from satisfactory. I would suggest you use the pre-cut self-adhesive labels. You get two labels per A4 sheet and you can use laser printers as well as ink-jets.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 09-Dec-12 21:50:02
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Canon do a range of printers that will print to CD. The bundled software includes a cover and CD face designer which works perfectly. A special carrier is supplied to 'carry' the CD.

For the best results use Tayo Yuden Watershield media.

Labels are OK but they don't produce results as good as direct printing.

I have THIS as one of my printers. Bought it as a refurb from the Canon Outlet on EBay for about £65 a while ago. It also produces really good 'edge to edge' photos using Canon photo plus paper.

I use it wirelessly via an HP printserver connected to my router.

Edited by longedge (Sun 09-Dec-12 22:00:26)

(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 21:59:28
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I'm looking to print onto the occasional CD, and to occasionally print photographs. I already have a perfectly good monochrome laser printer. I also have a very good Epson scanner which gives me all I need for scanning and photocopying so I don't need a multi-function device..

My son's cheap (£50-£80 IIRC) HP deskjet, though several years old now, can print to printable CDs. Quality is excellent.

There are a number of single-function and multifunction printers than can print to CDs, they use a carrier tray to do so.

As in my 2nd post, given the absence of a wireless single-function printer that can print onto CDs, but given the availability of USB connected single-function printers that can print to CDs, what is involved in using some sort of wireless print adapter (plugs into the printer's USB port?) to give me wireless capability?

It's only for occasional use.

I've used CD labels before, and had a CD auto-changer in a previous car wrecked by one. In hot weather the label lifted fractionally and jammed the auto-changer. An expensive replacement was needed. Never again!

Tony
Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 10-Dec-12 18:02:54
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
I have tried direct printing onto "printable" CDs and the results were far from satisfactory. I would suggest you use the pre-cut self-adhesive labels. You get two labels per A4 sheet and you can use laser printers as well as ink-jets.

have to totally dissagree with your statement. have used 3 printers so far that can print CD's directly. The first i think was an Epson R800, then used a HP (cannot remember the model) and now use another Epson (PX710W).
Previously (years ago ) I used to print onto paper templates, but there is NO comparison. Printing directly to CD/DVD is far better. Most people can not tell the difference, especially if you spray a lacquer coat afterwards.
I would never go back to printing on to paper templates.

tonym
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 22:31:03
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

After much perusal I've now bought an Epson Expression XP-605.

Printed to ordinary paper and to photo paper, impressed with the results. Haven't yet printed a CD, will do in the next few days.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to