Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 02:11:41
Print Post

Laptops

[link to this post]

Been looking around as my old Windows 98 laptop could do with replacing hehe. Been looking at the Sony VAIO E range and seem reasonably spec'd but some customer reviews about half of the ones on Amazon saying persistent freezing was encountered and had to return. Also fancied the Intel Ultrabooks but look a tad pricey. Can anyone recommend a good Laptop Intel based i5 with around 4-6 Gb ram?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Dec-12 04:52:39
Print Post

Re: Laptops

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

This ones pretty good that I noticed on sale.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-2293sa-...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 10:51:49
Print Post

If you want a good sturdy machine that will last years, have 3 to 5 year warranty and good tech support/NBD on-site repair then look at the Dell Latitude range which includes an ultrabook.

Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

As for memory, always buy the machine with the smallest option and then get an upgrade from Crucial. I recently bought a new Latitude, wanted 8 or 16 GB of memory but went for just 4GB. The cost increase to 8GB was more that 16GB from Crucial! Not just Dell, but most off the shelf are priced in that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 12:20:47
Print Post

Not a big fan of the mid-range Vaio laptops which is what the E series is. I'd advise you to stay away. Their top spec models have always been very good though (though from looking on their site seems they don't offer such a model atm)

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Als
(experienced) Thu 27-Dec-12 17:33:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If you want a good sturdy machine that will last years, have 3 to 5 year warranty and good tech support/NBD on-site repair then look at the Dell Latitude range which includes an ultrabook.

Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

As for memory, always buy the machine with the smallest option and then get an upgrade from Crucial. I recently bought a new Latitude, wanted 8 or 16 GB of memory but went for just 4GB. The cost increase to 8GB was more that 16GB from Crucial! Not just Dell, but most off the shelf are priced in that way.

I bought a Latitude E6520, I7 2760, 500MB HD, 4 GB ram from Dell Outlet last August. I'm really pleased with it & I'm glad I didn't buy an Inspiron.

Als

BE Value
  Print Thread

Jump to