Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 02:17:41
Print Post

Homeplugs

[link to this post]

Along a similar thread as the Laptops thread can anyone recommend a homeplug network pair for use on router upstairs and different ring main network HD recorder downstairs. Devolo seem pricey but reliable build quality although lots of people not getting plug and play. TP Link seem to have reliability problems and the cheapest of the lot the Belkin 200 mbps seem to be the most recommended if it wasnt for the european 2 pin plug. Recommendations?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Dec-12 08:02:16
Print Post

Re: Homeplugs

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I've used Devolo & Solwise units before. The Devolo were the better of the 2 & worked flawlessly.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Dec-12 08:33:44
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I tend to use netgears but others are probably better.

What I would recommend though is getting one with a pass-through socket. A lot of them aren't that keen on being plugged into extension leads so you can avoid that by plugging directly into the wall and then plugging the extension lead into the pass-through power socket. Avoids potential issues (unless of course you have a house with loads of spare power sockets).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 27-Dec-12 08:49:46
Print Post

I've got a few Devolo's around the house, they work fine between rings and on extension leads, though there's a bit of speed loss. They're the early 65Mbps (80Mbps? I forget) ones and I've had them for years.

One proviso when running between ring mains- because the signal has to go via the consumer unit it can be more prone to noise being generated on any other ring main. That includes the lighting circuit, and if I've got any CFLs switched on then I can forget about transferring data over the mains frown

It may be peculiar to my CFLs of course, though they're branded items not cheapo anonymous imports.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Thu 27-Dec-12 08:50:50)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BB4Tickton
(committed) Thu 27-Dec-12 10:24:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've also got 4 Devolo AV200 and one Devolo AV200 wireless (to expand my wireless coverage downstairs) and they have been working flawlessly. 2 are used in my garage for CCTV purposes which travel through it's own consumer unit and works great. They are much dearer than other manufacturers but I cannot complain at all.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 03:04:18
Print Post

[re: BB4Tickton] [link to this post]

Been looking at Ebay and wireless G routers are cheap. The HD recorder has its own wireless built in. Is it worth getting a cheap G cable router to hook up to my Billion 7800 wired router to turn it into wireless? We're not sure if we will use the internet features of the HD recorder much but nice to have the option.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Dec-12 04:14:11
Print Post

If it has wireless built in then this is definitely the best option.

So am I right in saying you don't already have a wireless router?

& don't bother with G jump straight to N. With wireless G I find it's not good for streaming but then again I have 13+ wireless devices connecting!! How you are managing without wireless is beyond me right now.

Definitely go for the WiFi.

Something like a BT HomeHub 3 would even do the job. Just turn off DHCP and plug it into your current router. Away you go! As daft as it sounds the wireless on them is very good.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:17:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Can anyone suggest what IP I should make the HH3 when connecting to a Billion 7800. Seen a couple of articles on this one suggesting IP should be outside the Masters DHCP range and one saying inside the range. Have got a HH3 from Ebay on its way.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Banger (Fri 28-Dec-12 22:00:02)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Jan-13 16:45:10
Print Post

The answer is it doesnt matter, as long as firewall and server are switched off and the slave routers home IP is different to the master routers IP. Been watching youtube through the TV today.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to