Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 27-Feb-13 13:14:08
Print Post

1155 Overclocking mobo recommendations

[link to this post]

Hiya,

I'm thinking of updating my E6750 o/c @ 3.5GHz system with an i5-3570K and overclocking it.
Firstly is this much of a speed increase? I cant seem to find any benchmarks - EDIT Ive found a benchmark and comparing stock to stock its 2-3X faster on most tasks
Secondly can anyone recommend a decent motherboard for overclocking? Has to be either Gigabyte or Asus as they are the only 2 makes I can get where I live, must be stable overclockers and I'm thinking maybe USB3 and Sata3 as I dont upgrade to often so want it to last.
Onboard vga is fine as long it supports 2 monitors or a separate gfx card is OK as well.

Thanks

Edited by slippyjim (Wed 27-Feb-13 13:23:25)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Wed 27-Feb-13 14:12:18
Print Post

Re: 1155 Overclocking mobo recommendations

[re: slippyjim] [link to this post]

I am using the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard with an i7 3770k quad core.

If you are looking to overclock then I would suggest this one as it has all sorts of thermal armor which helps with heat dispersal.

without OC my system runs at 25C in the case and the processor runs at 45C

It has all the future proof stuff you need such as Sata 3, USB 3, PCI-e 3 and it supports Crossfire etc.

It also supports 32GB of DDR3 memory although I am just running 16GB but if you want to go that route you need win7 64 Bit PRO as Home Premium has a cap that means you can't use 32GB
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Feb-13 14:14:05
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

got z68 asrock extreme

supports later type cpu's

got i7 2600k at 4.5 ghz on a h60 water cooler

30c at idle 55c load

SOTV KRO BCFC smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 27-Feb-13 17:46:16
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Thanks for info, it looks like I might have an extra problem, some of the motherboards I have seen have the 8 pin motherboard power connector and my PSU (Thermaltake purepower 450pp) only has the 4 pin one, but I imagine I can get an adaptor for that anyway

Im going to have a look at what Z77 mobos I can get, ta
  Print Thread

Jump to