Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 11:37:21
Print Post

Motherboard beeps but doesnt complete POST

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have an old p4 Packard Bell motherboard, no onboard graphics. I installed some memory and brand-new graphics card and when I turned it on the screen displays the Packard Bell logo and beeps once but that's all, it does not continue to boot.

I have tried resetting the BIOS but it has made no difference.

Any last minute ideas before I bin it?

Thanks
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Wed 13-Mar-13 11:40:06
Print Post

Re: Motherboard beeps but doesnt complete POST

[re: slippyjim] [link to this post]

Did it work with the old memory and graphics card, if so put the new bits in one at a time and decide which is causing the problem
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-13 11:52:56
Print Post

Might be the graphics card requiring too much power - it's wattage and PSU wattage?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 12:28:37
Print Post

[re: FraserSoft] [link to this post]

It didnt work with the old graphics card, just did several muted beeps, I had to listen really hard to hear them but if I leave RAM out it beeps loudly. I have tried several different sticks of RAM.
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 12:30:26
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Its a Club3d radeon HD5450 1GB (the most basic one I could get) on the box it says it requires 350W.
The PSU I have is 450W, but it is only a cheap one
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-13 12:39:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by slippyjim:
Its a Club3d radeon HD5450 1GB (the most basic one I could get) on the box it says it requires 350W.
The PSU I have is 450W, but it is only a cheap one

Should be OK smile

The pc not booting could also be caused by the connections to the hard drive not being fully attached...

Edit: sorry just noticed that you checked the bios and presumably the HDD was recognised.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 13-Mar-13 12:42:28)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 13-Mar-13 12:49:33
Print Post

Minimise the PSU load by disconnecting all drives and non-essential card (sound/network etc). If you can get into the BIOS, you could lower the CPU speed, but that shouldn't be necessary.

If you get right up to the 'no operating system present' or similar, but can't with the kit connected, it's most likely the PSU.

Do you get BIOS and/or POST info, or does the Packard Bell hide it all? There might be an option in the BIOS to disable the splash screen and get the info.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 14:48:38
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I have tried it with everythign disconnected apart from the mobo to the psu, but no different.

It beeps once, then the logo comes up but that is it. I cant get into BIOS or the boot device selection or hit Esc to see the normal BIOS screen, I have tried a PS2 and USB keyboard

Ive done the clear cmos jumper and also taken the battery out, tried different RAM in all 4 slots, but always the same
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 15:01:36
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I cant get into BIOS

It beeps once, then the logo comes up but that is it. I cant get into BIOS or the boot device selection or hit Esc to see the normal BIOS screen, I have tried a PS2 and USB keyboard.

Ive done the clear cmos jumper and also taken the battery out, tried different RAM in all 4 slots, but always the same .

Im pretty sure something has died
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 15:22:10
Print Post

its WORKING!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I've got it sorted, I put in another PSU and it fired up OK, so I tried the original PSU and all of a sudden it works with that one as well.

Going to install Windows and then run Prime for a while see if it survives that!!

Thanks for everyones help
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to