Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-13 02:58:28
Print Post

New HDD and warranty issues

[link to this post]

Purchased a brand new internal HDD to replace my existing failing one,wich is now out of warranty as it's over 5yrs old
The new HDD was delivered yesterday, i opened the box it was packed in, and it was in the anti static protective packaging un opened as sn lable still intact,
After using the HDD manufactures online warranty check tool i discovered that the HDD although new & unused is 2yrs old , and was made for the usa market, so is classed as "out of region" After speaking with the cs and supplying proof of purchase , they i think are going to update the region to europe, but will they also restart or extend the warranty period so i can benefit from the full 5yrs (60mths ) ?
Has anyone else had to deal with this type of thing ?

Standard User IanBB
(member) Thu 14-Mar-13 03:55:03
Print Post

Re: New HDD and warranty issues

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

First I've heard of of HDD's being regionalised.

DVD players/recorders I can understand.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 08:47:20
Print Post

Wasnt WD was it? I had to supply a copy of receipt to get my warranty date changed to WD CS.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-13 09:19:30
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Wasnt WD was it? I had to supply a copy of receipt to get my warranty date changed to WD CS.
Twas,No doubt from before they got flooded out and is old stock that someone has had sat in a wharehouse until the value increased, Grey goods i think they are known as
So did WD give you a full warranty term for the product in the end as well as updating their data base as to the region it was purchased in ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:08:57
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

I would guess that it is more to down with the various levels or types of packaging, warranty requirements and declarations to government bodies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User billford
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:15:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have vague recollections of references to built-in data encryption on some WD drives.

Assuming I'm not having a major senior moment, it could be contributory factor.

Bill
____________________________________/white]Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 20:04:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by Banger:
Twas,No doubt from before they got flooded out and is old stock that someone has had sat in a wharehouse until the value increased, Grey goods i think they are known as
So did WD give you a full warranty term for the product in the end as well as updating their data base as to the region it was purchased in ?

Yes WD changed the warranty date to the date of purchase but I didnt have a region problem.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to