Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Aug-13 17:11:16
Print Post

Any recommended HDD docking stations?

[link to this post]

From time to time I need to be able to get everything off an HDD, usually after it's been removed from a system. I'm thinking about an HDD dock for this - a caddy is too fiddly for the relatively few minutes of transfer needed.

I'd need to be able handle both IDE and SATA drives. It might be useful if it could handle both 3.5" and 2.5".

Clearly there are a number out there with pros and cons depending on the reviews available.

Anyone any experience of such a device? The good, bad & ugly?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Aug-13 18:16:51
Print Post

Re: Any recommended HDD docking stations?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I've got a SATA only version of this one. Mine does eSATA too. Works just fine. At the price, what have you got to lose?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 13-Aug-13 18:17:03
Print Post

I use a desktop docking station for SATA drives, generic Chiwanese jobby that works fine.

Previously I had a PC with removable caddies with trays for both IDE and SATA but TBH for the few IDE drives I see now it's as quick to plug in my IDE - USB cable and the power brick.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Aug-13 05:34:08
Print Post

Hi. I use one of these and there amazing and I've so far not had a single issue!.
startech docking station
However it only supports 2.5 and 3.5 sata drives not ide (i dont have any ide drives)
You can get ide adapters for them although I've obviously never used the adapter myself.
startech docking station ide adapter
You may be able to find Startech products cheaper on other sites like Amazon or Ebay.
Hope this might be of some help
Blackmesa8

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sun 18-Aug-13 05:38:09)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Aug-13 07:37:40
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Your link lists a SATA/IDE version for only £2 more than the SATA one.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Aug-13 11:34:44
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Well i only linked to them ones because i have had personal experience with Startech docking stations and found them excellent with brilliant speeds and build quality. The OP did ask for people with personal experience with any docking stations.
I had to add the 2nd link to the adapter for that specific docking station i got made by Startech cause i trust there products cause he wanted IDE drives to be used and there sata only without the adapter. He could buy a single drive bay Startech docking station for less money tho that would be worth for the OP to look into.
And like i said the OP could also browse other sites to see if he could find them cheaper.

Blackmesa8
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Aug-13 16:45:23
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

I was just pointing out that your link lists a Startech docking station that does both types of drive. This is more convenient, and cheaper, than a separate adapter - and is the make that you recommend.
  Print Thread

Jump to