Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User niceboy
(newbie) Sat 23-Nov-13 12:03:14
Print Post

Cheap VOIP Phone required

[link to this post]

Can anyone suggest a cheap voip phone? I need this for a relative who does not have or need a voip router but would like the use of a cheap line. I have a few software packages so I just need a USB phone. (Hope I am in the right forum)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 22:32:56
Print Post

Re: Cheap VOIP Phone required

[re: niceboy] [link to this post]

would they not be be better off getting a voip adaptor and using a normal phone? Depending on what provider they are going to use.

Voip on computers are a pain as it means the computer have to stay on.

i have a Linksys adapter, which was cheap and works well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200931327738

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User niceboy
(newbie) Sun 24-Nov-13 08:29:08
Print Post

Thank for that. I will have a look at voip adapters but it would mean them getting another phone as they have only one and that has to remain where it is. Running additional wire or a move is not (ancient wrinkleys) an option but thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 24-Nov-13 10:41:33
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If you're recommending VOIP adapters for elderly people, I think you need a FXO port for safe failover back to the POTS line in case of power failure http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?...

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Nov-13 09:13:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
If you're recommending VOIP adapters for elderly people, I think you need a FXO port for safe failover back to the POTS line in case of power failure http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?...

Yes, indeedy.

i don't have a phone so I don't need any of that.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Nov-13 09:14:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by niceboy:
Thank for that. I will have a look at voip adapters but it would mean them getting another phone as they have only one and that has to remain where it is. Running additional wire or a move is not (ancient wrinkleys) an option but thanks again.

for what reason do they want a VoIP system?

Adrian

Standard User niceboy
(newbie) Wed 27-Nov-13 09:19:59
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If you read my original post you will see it was for cheaper phone call rates. Their call patterns are such that a per second rate would seriously lower their bill.
  Print Thread

Jump to