Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jan-14 21:59:57
Print Post

Tablets

[link to this post]

My wife readily admits she is not technically literate, doesn't know how to turn this PC on, and hasn't previously shown any interest in so knowing.

However, and much to my astonishment (and delight), a couple of weeks ago my wife expressed an interest in having a tablet computer. I let the thought settle and then today, when in John Lewis, we had a look at some.

I was quite impressed how quickly she seemed able to use one.

We didn't have a look at the iPads but did look at ones from Nokia, Microsoft, Samsung, Google(?).

Being a Windows 7 user I think I'd feel more comfortable with a Windows machine, though Android looks similar ("Can it run Google Earth?" my wife asked). Rightly or wrongly I feel 2 Windows systems are more likely to be able to interact.

I'd be interested in comparative views on the various tablets? Bear in mind it would be for a very non-computer-literate person.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jan-14 22:17:02
Print Post

Re: Tablets

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

To no surprise to everyone here, I like the Windows tablets. The Nokia tablet is very nice indeed, but only runs RT apps (i.e., no standard PC programs). It's very nice to hold though and is very snappy, and I still prefer it to an iPad or Android. Probably prefer the Nokia tablet to the Surface RT. If you want a fully fledged desktop capability check out the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2. They are excellent, but do come with a bit of a price tag.

The Toshiba Windows tablet is also quite nice so I hear - and it runs full Windows so can run legacy programs.

From there I would probably go for an iPad after then, and Android last. Ruling out apps -- I think the iPad has the edge in terms of speed and ease of use -- its likely the apps and programs your wife will want to use (and most other people) will be available for all 3 smile

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 08-Jan-14 22:17:31)

(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jan-14 22:54:39
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Choice of OS clearly means I need to understand the differences.

What are the main differences between Windows RT and Windows 'normal'? The pros and cons?

What are the limitations of Android? Again, the pros and cons?

Many thanks

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jan-14 23:16:10
Print Post

Windows RT only runs metro apps and certain built in Windows programs (i.e., notepad, paint, internet explorer, etc). So basically any applications you download off the internet will not work. You must get any additional apps off the app store. It is comparable-ish to the iPad and Android tablet OS in that regard.

Windows full edition/Pro etc, is fully fledged Windows, it does everything the RT will do, it has the app store etc etc, in addition to the usual you come to expect from Windows, it will run any sort of Windows programs.

I find Android is harder to use than an iPad for a novice, it also is generally a bit slower to load apps and navigate etc. The pro's are of course the massive array of apps and, generally, Android devices are much cheaper. That's just my opinion between those two though smile

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 07:45:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I have iPad and Android devices, and I prefer the latter. My main problem with iOS devices is that it is a closed system and you have to sign up to Apple's way of doing things. Also, they tend to abandon older devices - the original iPad is getting increasingly unusable.

All devices have a fairly good range of apps available, though the choice with Windows is rather more limited. None of them really interact with computers, other than to transmit data files bak and forth - cloud storage makes this easy.

An additional (very big for me) advantage of Android and Windows tablets is that both can be programmed for free - it will cost you $99 a year to do so on iOS.

In truth, they all have much the same advantages and limitations, and anything will do for simple web browsing, etc. Many Android devices have built-in GPS receivers, which can be useful. I don't know about Windows tablets, but iOS devices rely on network connectivity for position location. Android devices tend to be cheaper for a similar specification.

My order of preference would be Android, Windows, iOS but your requirements may differ. They all do much the same job, and all have superb displays and touch screens nowadays.
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 07:57:06
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I agree about the screen quality, quite amazing.

The Microsoft tablets may too be large for my wife - she'd be wanting new handbags! - the 7" (or thereabouts) tablets seem more 'handy'.

Thank you for your thoughts about the iPad, the iPad Mini was one I'd thought about but not yet actually looked at, Apple's attitude to older products is not what we want, we tend to milk the most out of devices rather than change them regularly.

Tony
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Jan-14 08:49:24
Print Post

I got my mom an iPad for Christmas and she loves it. She was using it from the moment it was unwrapped although she has never used a PC before. There's something about the way it just works in the way you expect which makes it so usable.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 08:56:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

All tablets seem to be pretty intuitive to use. Having spent much of Sunday afternoon helping an elderly friend with her iPad mini I wouldn't say they were anything special in that regard. TBH, I'd say that Windows tablets are probably the most intuitive.

If there is someone on hand who knows even a little about computers, ease of use is not going to be a problem.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 10:11:43
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I got myself a Hudl (Android) tablet before Christmas for those occasions when I want to use an app that is not available for my WM phone. Mostly use it for streaming TV and the HDMI Out socket makes it easy to feed my main TV.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 10:20:18
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I have android, ipad mini and a windows pro tablet at the moment. The windows one comes out when I need to do "proper" stuff - like running apps or doing complex website work (it has a keyboard which helps). The ipad mini gets used for normal day to day surfing, especially when watching the telly (IMDB gets lots of hits when I'm sitting there trying to work out why I recognise an actor).

The android - only gets turned on if I need to test something on android. It's ok but the android ecosystem is fractured in my opinion and the quality of the experience depends on who manufactured the device. It also winds me up that android release a new version but most devices don't get updated - at least with Apple you know with a new model you have a least 3 years of updates (although some do feel like backward steps).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to