Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Apr-14 18:19:19
Print Post

psu grinding noise

[link to this post]

This afternoon PC making qn intermittent grinding noise from one of the fans. Cleaned fans out still same so took it to local PC shop. They ran the PC for 45 mins and didn't make the noise sods law.

So I brought it home and now there is no power to it. Tried different cable its just dead. Off back in morning with it but odd how it worked 20 mins before in the shop. Wonder if the grinding was the psu dying?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 01:19:43
Print Post

Re: psu grinding noise

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Could have been the bearing on the fan ... finally gave up and PSU overheated.

My old Dell desktop ran 24hr/day for 10 years but I needed to replace a small nylon bearing twice in that time.

Leave yours power disconnected overnight and try again in the morning. Then check the various fuses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 10:56:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Took it back today, guy tested PSU on a device thing and was working fine. He noticed some pins had bent and come off the motherboard and these were the ones controlling the power switch, so he soldiered them back on and its fine now

Weirdly the noise hasnt been back either so dunno what to make of it. Not sure if the 2 are linked, but he said he had no idea how they had come off and bent

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Apr-14 08:02:48
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Worked out where the noise is. I pressed my finger gently on the middle bit of the CPU fan when the noise happened, and it stopped. So its that fan. Seems securely in place so i can only assume its the bearing or something going? Anyway gonna replace it

Edited by bobble_bob (Sun 06-Apr-14 08:03:01)

Print Thread

Jump to