Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Apr-14 06:58:17
Print Post

CPU Quiet Fan

[link to this post]

Got an Asrock motherboard. In the bios there is a Quiet Fan setting. If enabled it has CPU target temp (set to 50c) and fan speed (slow medium or fast). Whwn I set it to medium the fan is quieter which I want.

Does the target temp mean if the CPU reaches above 50c the fan will speed up until the temp drops below the target temp?
Standard User Anji
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 07:12:40
Print Post

Re: CPU Quiet Fan

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Most motherboards have a similar setting and it means exactly what you said. Above the target temperature the fan speed will gradually ramp up to try to maintain temperatures below the target. On my Foxconn board the CPU fan actually stops when the processor is only lightly loaded. As you say, it makes a huge difference to noise levels.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Apr-14 07:30:16
Print Post

[re: Anji] [link to this post]

Cheers. Dunno why it's not enabled by default. Seems there are no downsides to the feature

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Anji
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 07:40:18
Print Post

I suppose that some people like to keep their CPUs as cool as possible all the time. But I agree with you. Most computers are far too noisy. Loudest thing now on mine is the PSU fan; unfortunately good, silent PSUs tend to be quite pricey.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:44:53
Print Post

[re: Anji] [link to this post]

Well put my to slow now with a target of 50C. Fans spins around 1900rpm and is quiet, and speeds up when i get near 50c (did a stress test to make sure it worked).

Is a target of 50c ok? Running around 40c at the moment
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:51:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Is a target of 50c ok? Running around 40c at the moment
Modern CPUs are (afaik) spec'd up to about 100ºC, they tend to put themselves into sleep mode much above that to protect themselves.

So 50ºC is fine, most of mine run maxed out, 24/7, on all cores and have been at 75-85ºC for months with no complaints

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to