Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jun-14 19:20:32
Print Post

Inside a hard drive

[link to this post]

From time to time I dispose of an old PC, when I do so I open up the hard drive and take it apart. Both for security and curiosity reasons.

I've noticed in some, though not all, there is a small box inside with a sticky cover. Removing that sticky cover reveals a large number of tiny spheres. First time I encountered this they spilled everywhere, now I'm more cautious grin. Browsing around the only thing I can think of is that it's part of the drive's air filter.

Anyone actually know what it is?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 24-Jun-14 20:25:48
Print Post

Re: Inside a hard drive

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Desiccant silica gel?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jun-14 22:03:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Looks like your right, see link.

While trying to find the answer I came across this video. Running a drive with the cover off!

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 25-Jun-14 19:29:32
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

As has been noted; dessicant to control humidity. There is no air filter because, like a light bulb, the drive is filled with inert gas and hermetically sealed to prevent corrosion and ingress of dust.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
  Print Thread

Jump to