Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Oct-14 10:54:33
Print Post

Wireless printing - part 2

[link to this post]

Further to help from here some time ago my Epson printer has behaved very well via Ethernet. I disabled the wireless option and it went to ethernet by default. I am directly connected from my laptop and I have a Devolo ethernet line from my wife's laptop which she tends to use in the bedroom. All this goes through a Netgear powered hub. So far, so logical, as they each have ethernet to the printer. Last night my wife was watching Downton Abbey in the living room whilst using her laptop and it was so thrilling (!) that she forgot that she didn't have an ethernet line and tried to print. The document did print!! She did have a wireless connection to the router, but surely I'd disabled that option on the printer. Can anyone explain?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Oct-14 11:32:09
Print Post

Re: Wireless printing - part 2

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

My guess is that she was connected wirelessly to the same network that the printer was connected to by a cable ( if I understand your post correctly). When she hit print the computer did but through a different route.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Oct-14 13:00:34
Print Post

The wireless/wired is how the printer connects to the network. How any other devices connect to the same network then is irrelevant.

The printer itself is still printing via wired networking even if the laptop used wireless to deposit the print onto that wired network - the laptop and the printer do not talk directly.

You essentially have a connection from printer and router and a separate connection from router to laptop.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 07-Oct-14 15:48:38
Print Post

My current "wireless printing issues" are similar, but exactly the opposite, to yours!!!
I have an Epson SX515W printer which has been setup to connect wirelessly ONLY to my Router to provide wirelessly printings for my daughter's Windows 7 laptop, which has an equivalent wireless connection to the router of course, very successfully l. However recently I would like to do the same for my son's new W8.1 laptop as well. That's right my son's laptop has this infamous W8.1 OS installed.

I installed the Epson's recommended SX510W series driver, as no equivalent SX515W's, to my son's W8.1 laptop this morning and ONLY being asked by the SW installation that to connect my son's USB port to the printer's USB port (Please noted that my son's W8.1 already has a working wireless connection to the router and in my previous W7 installation the SW would give options for "USB" or "wireless connection" as well. As a result my son's W8.1 laptop is only being able to print whenever its USB port is used with the printer's, but not wirelessly. As the printer has always been setup to print wirelessly, so the only issues is HOW to setup this W8.1 OS to redirect its printing-process from its USB's port to its wireless port instead! I have been looking into W8.1's Control Panel> HW & Sound > Devices & Printers > Epson SX510W Series Properties etc for options of being able to re-direct its printing from currently USB 0nly to its wireless port without success....
Could some one give me a suggestion here or else where for my issues as I'm not intending to hijack the OP's issues!!!

Many Thanks

P.S: The Epson SX510W is also a wireless capable printer.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC

Edited by OCdragon (Tue 07-Oct-14 15:50:36)

Print Thread

Jump to