Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Fri 17-Oct-14 08:44:39
Print Post

Help With A Build Design Please

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm planning a new build machine and I had the following two ideas, I thought I'd post here to ask for others opinions. I'm sure you're all far more understanding of all this than me so thought your advice(s) would be invaluable smile

I'm building a machine with W7HP 64, Core i5 4690 (never overclocked and don't know that I'd ever try - is it worth spending extra to get the K version?), 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600, Gigabyte Z97x-SLi, one only graphics card GTX750Ti OC 2GB. HDD arrangements are where I'm wondering about.

Option 1

Install the OS on a Crucial MX100 SSD, 512GB and have a 3TB WD Green for all user data (ie all user folders mapped to this drive. This would mean the SSD would run the operating system and programs only.

Option 2

Install the OS on a Crucial MX100 SSD, 512GB and have a 1TB WD Green for program files (not sure how I'd actually do that though) and still a 3TB WD Green for all user data (ie all user folders mapped to this drive). This would mean the SSD would run the operating system, call on the 1TB drive for program files and the 3TB drive for user files.

Please can anyone offer me any advice, thoughts or if I'm way off the mark in my thinking? Would Option 1 with a 512GB SSD be enough capacity if I took all user data away from it yet left program files?

Thanks everyone
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 22:24:53
Print Post

Re: Help With A Build Design Please

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

The OS won't take up much space on the SSD so you'd have to install very many apps to exceed the 512GB space available on the SSD. I can't see any point installing the program files on an HDD as you'll lose the speed benefit of the SSD. By all means stick the Users folder on the 3TB HDD.

So option 1 is my recommendation.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Oct-14 01:49:49
Print Post

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Looked at this yesterday and didn't reply as didn't have much time. Still don't, 99.5% option 1 is best for you. You can't move program files (in its entirety), and also you want prog files on the SSD anyway.

AAISP Home::1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Mon 27-Oct-14 08:11:37
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thank you to both who replied. I've followed your advice ref the ssd and 3TB drive. The bits are now ordered and I look forward to my new machine.

I'm very grateful for your input on this, it really helped a lot actually smile
  Print Thread

Jump to