Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Mon 29-Dec-14 20:02:36
Print Post

network storage or nas? help please

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a reasonable spec'd xp pc running 24/7 for my weather station and am wondering if I can also use it for more.

I have a 1TB drive and a 500GB drive full of pictures documents etc that I'd like to be able to access downstairs from my laptop and to save/view photos to easily.

Is there a easy way to either make that xp a server and access the files cheaply, quickly and easily? do I need to make it a NAS drive - if so what are the benefits?

Many thanks for your help
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Dec-14 23:45:56
Print Post

Re: network storage or nas? help please

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Why not just use File Sharing? If both Windows, just enable File & Printer Sharing; in XP in Local Area Network Properties and for > XP in Network and Sharing Center. Then you can just access each others files in Windows Explorer as usual.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 30-Dec-14 14:56:55
Print Post

Re: network storage or nas? help please

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks XRay. You hear so much hype I didn't know if I was missing a trick.

C heers
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to