Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 23:12:16
Print Post

Manufacturer refurbished, h80i

[link to this post]

Looking at updating the computer a bit, geting a AMD FX8350 CPU and a corsair H80I water cooling system.

I seen some H80I on amazon via Scan for £58,Manufacturer refurbished. this is a fair bit less than a new one, the only problem is it only have a 3 month warranty.

what do anyone think of this?

Is it worht spending the extraon a new one or will these be fine?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Sat 28-Feb-15 00:19:05
Print Post

Re: Manufacturer refurbished, h80i

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Bit of a Catch 22 stituation this. I've had a few Corsair water coolers for a few years and bought the H80i last year for my AMD FX9590 and it cools it just fine. Never had a problem with any of them. I did change the stock H80i fans for Compucase CF-V12HP Cougar Fans from Amazon as they are quieter, but push thru as much air. I suppose the most likely fault would be the pump failing. They are well made so probably unlikely that the rad or pipes will leak. The one you are looking at I think is plus carriage at £5. I noticed there is a brand new one from Germany on Amazon for £70.85 inc carriage. That's what I would choose for peace of mind.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009ZN03AA/...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 10:01:19
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Bit of a Catch 22 stituation this. I've had a few Corsair water coolers for a few years and bought the H80i last year for my AMD FX9590 and it cools it just fine. Never had a problem with any of them. I did change the stock H80i fans for Compucase CF-V12HP Cougar Fans from Amazon as they are quieter, but push thru as much air. I suppose the most likely fault would be the pump failing. They are well made so probably unlikely that the rad or pipes will leak. The one you are looking at I think is plus carriage at £5. I noticed there is a brand new one from Germany on Amazon for £70.85 inc carriage. That's what I would choose for peace of mind.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009ZN03AA/...

cheers, I have seen one that is not from German and direct from Amazon, it is £74.99 and free postage, about £9 cheaper than from other places.

I see you got the higher chip that I am getting, my board can not take that one, which is why I am going for the 8350, it will do for me and I will get a decent AMD r9 card, not too mad, but maybe the r9 270/280 ish, depnding on what deal I can get.

I was going for the H100i, but it will not fit in my case without some cutting, I thought it would as my case is not small, it is a Haf 912Plus. but it don't.
so what is the H80i like at cooling your beast then?

My computer will mainly be use for video editing and effects, no games or very few and then only stuff that takes little resources.

My idea is to update the machine for another 5 years and see how I feel and what the money situation is then.
Hopefully i will get back to full health and nothing happens for another 15 to 20 years.

My idea this time is

The CPU FX 8350
the liquid cooling
A decent video card, not too pricy, but enough to last.
A larger SSD, maybe a corsiar 480, but no rush.
some more memory, but no rush for that, will wait until I get back to work.

I got the money to do it , but I also need to keep some back just in case ESA and benefit mucks up before i go back to work, whihc they may do and then I have no where to live smile

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Sat 28-Feb-15 11:21:08
Print Post

Good decision, 3 months warranty isn't very long.
My setup is as follows:-
Lian Aluminium case
2 front 120mm fans (inlet)
1 top 140mm fan (exhaust )
Only space for 1 x 120mm at rear so hence opted for H80i, same as you, push pull from outside in.
The FX9590 isn't even supplied with any cooler as at 4.7Ghz it could get very hot. AMD only recommend water cooling. I would never overclock so opted for the H80i, neater and less hassle than setting up a full water cooled system.
1tb Samsung Evo SSD, 2tb WD for storage, 32 gb ram, MSI mobo, MSI R9 270X Gaming 2gb Graphics, Corsair AX1200i PSU.
All fans are Compucase CF-V12HP Cougar which can be speed adjusted.
Idle in Winter with fans around 1100 rpm - temps between 38 - 42 degrees
Dont play games, but when rendering video, 40 - 47 degrees
Not sure when fans are at full speed (1500 rpm) but I'd say reduces temps by around 4/5 degree
Hot summers day, add around 4/5 degress to all figures..
If fans at full speed in Summer, idle around 40/41 degrees, rendering around 49/50 degress.
Running Windows 8.1 Enterprise
I gave my son my last rig, which is very similar, but is using a AMD FX 6300 with the H60 Cooler, again with all Compucase fans in a push pull, but exhausting out as there is no top fan. Don't think all fans blowing into case is a good idea, too much heat build up. Single 120 mm inlet fan at front. He gets similar temps to me.
When I had the rig, which at the time had an AMD FX-8150 fitted, I tested the H60 as both inlet and as exhaust setup and TBH it made very little difference to the CPU temps, but just increased the case temp by about 4/5 degrees.
I'm sure that you will be well pleased with the H80i.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 13:30:25
Print Post

Cheers for that, gave me some ideas.

Machine at the moment is a Coolermaster Hf 912+ case
Asrock 970 Extreme3 motherboard whihc is staying as long as it keeps working.
AMD Phenom II 3.5Ghz CPU, black edition
Akasa Nano cooler, really good for the chip, but will not cope with the new chip.
Sapphire Radeon HD 6570

8Gb of corsair XM 1600 memory.
Corsair 120GB force 3 SSD
1x2GB toshiba drive
1x500Gb Seagate hybrid drive
1x250 Hitatchi drive, which will go at some point and be replaced with something in the range of 3-4GB.

Only fans at the moment is the huge one on the front pushing air in and the smaller 120 on the back pulling air out, which is also taking the air from the CPU as the fan on that is push only and facing the rear fan.

My idea first of all is to get a couple of Corsair air flow 120, stick them to the top and blow out. Radiator at back of machine, not sure if to blow into the case or out, I suppose in as it will be getting cooler air from outside and the top fans can take the heat out again. May get a side fan to blow in, over video card, but not important at the moment.

New CPU wihich is the 8350 and the cooling.

Later on, I will get the video card and a SSD and large HHD.

Then later on again i will look at more memory as 2 stick in the machine do not belong to me anyway, they are on long term loan since one of mine went belly up and my mate updated his machine and leant me his old ones. I may stick 16GB in total.

I also ordered a usb 3 bay thing from coolermaster to run the USB 3 from the back to the front.

The reason I am waiting for the video card is I have to try some software on my mates computer,. Hit film and see if it works on his super dooper Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 290X, not so much because of the power, but to see if the problem I am having is because my card is not man enough and not the AMD drivers that keep crashing.

Once I sorted that out, the video card will be next

Price wise I am going a bit silly, well it is for me, my last video card cost me £50, I am looking at over £100 for my next one, same with CPU, over £100 for that one as well, I thought the last chip was under £100, but just looked and in 2011 it was £119.

So video card certainly going over the top, and SSD as it will be a new Cosair Netron at over £200

Just hope it is worth the money, but to be honest I am 50 soon and i think all the stuff I been though over the last 6 months I deserve to get something I enjoy, so I am going to do it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Sat 28-Feb-15 13:48:13
Print Post

Sounds a good setup to me.
As I said, I prefer to push pull from outside in on the H80i as long as there are escape fans available in the case. That's the optimum cooling for the CPU and the case.
I'm even older than you and I agree that you should enjoy life when you can.
You never know when it will turn around and bite you on the backside.
If it's something you enjoy, then it will be worth every penny.
50 is far too young to be suffering health issues, I hope they are behind you now.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 16:57:18
Print Post

It will be good when it is done, anyway CPU, cooler and fans are ordered, plus a backplate for the board as I can't find the one that came with it. The one on here at the moment is from the old heat sink as it is pretty hefty.

Outside/in should be ok for the cooler, the case will have tow 120mm fans ont he top that will certainly take the warm air out.
i am also going to move the computer, from under the desk to the side, easier to get at.

It already have bit me, bowel cancer, going though Chemo at the moment, but looking positive, well you got to simple as that really. chemo is just a mop up exercise.

I got plans for this year, going away for a few days, once i get back to work and get some more money behind me, updating computer, sorting house out and a few other things.
I want to use the video camera a bit more and want ot do more editing and effects, which is why I want to update the computer.
Vegas uses the video card more, which is why I want to up date it, but Adobe after effects seems to use the CPU more, Hitfilm uses GPU and cinema 4D uses CPU as well.

I like my case, but sometimes I think I should have paid a bit more and gone for the Haf X, but that is one hell of a case and not cheap. My mate have one and it is nice.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Sat 28-Feb-15 19:40:45
Print Post

Sorry to hear about your health issues, hopefully the future is bright.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Mar-15 09:34:28
Print Post

Cheers.

Looking at memory, I have got corsair XMS 3 1600, i do nto think it is worth going over the 1600 speed, so bets to get some more XPS i think, the memory have been fine apart from the one stick going down. I was going to send it back but never got around to it.

Stick 8GB in and keep 4 of my old in, would give me 12GB, I think that should be enough.

What memory are you using?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(learned) Sun 01-Mar-15 10:12:56
Print Post

I 'm using Corsair Vengeance Red 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C10 1866MHz Dual/Quad Channel on a MSI 990FXA-GD80 mobo. They are just running at whatever the default mobo setting is, which I think is 667MHz. I only bought that ram as it was on a special at Overclockers at the time. If not I would have just got some quality 1333 or 1600 ram.
As I said before I don't overclock anything, can't see the need for a few extra % of performance. In the real world it makes so little difference. After all overheating is the main cause of electrical component failure. I prefer reliablity.
For Windows Vista,7/8/10, 8gb is probably enough for most users with good performance, 12/16 is excellent, Anything more is just being greedy, but hey, we only live once!

Edited by rogerfp (Sun 01-Mar-15 12:02:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to