Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 08:19:12
Print Post

Dell Utrasharp U2212HM

[link to this post]

Had this monitor since Oct 2013, so still under warranty with Dell. But while using the monitor last night it went off for a second then came back on with the Dell logo. I wiggled the power lead at the base of the monitor and it went off for a second again. So replaced the power lead and it seems fine so far.

What to do? Wait and see if it does it again? It cant be the video card as I have just replaced that with a passive cooled GT610. Besides if the card went off it wouldn't show the Dell logo. This only shows on initial power up, otherwise it goes into sleep mode. I see on you tube there are a few videos replacing 1000uF caps on Dell monitor PSUs. Any ideas?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sat 07-Mar-15 11:26:20
Print Post

Re: Dell Utrasharp U2212HM

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

First thing I would do is to log the possible fault with Dell as its under warranty. Then if it re-occurs even some time out of warranty, they would have to repair or replace it.
Of course they may offer to swap it out anyway. If they dont this time, make sure you report it on any further repeats of the issue.
Does sound like a bad connection somewhere on the monitor side. Definitely not PC/video card with the symptoms you describe.
Could be the cable as you say, but unless its loose or gets moved about, which seems unlikely????? Could be a bad solder or component in the monitor itself. If it happens after the monitor has been on sometime and is warmed up could be a component or joint breaking down when hot

Edited by rogerfp (Sat 07-Mar-15 13:09:36)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 19:31:42
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Well the cable was on a very tight bend so have re-arranged new cable on not so tight bend, hasnt happened again. I bought from Ebuyer but they say warranty is with Dell.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sat 07-Mar-15 20:20:01
Print Post

On the back of the monitor there is a Service Tag or Express Service Code number, close to the serial no. sticker.
If you go to the Dell UK support site http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Produ... and enter the code it will tell you the warranty cover. Ebuyer are correct in that Dell cover the 3 year swap out warranty. Can't imagine that a cable that is bent will suddenly have a problem assuming it is not constantly moved. Mains cables can be bent quite a bit before anything will break as the wire is stranded and not solid.
I'd still ring Dell to log the fault so that if the problem returns it's on file that a fault was developing during the warranty period.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 21:11:20
Print Post

Screen has gone red now dunno if its the monitor or card. Now to find a test monitor.

Othet monitor all blue, old card in and back to normal.

Old card was up to 85 degrees before I flicked the mini fan bringing down to 50.

Tim

Edited by Banger (Sat 07-Mar-15 22:05:17)

Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sat 07-Mar-15 23:00:32
Print Post

Mini fan?
So basically if I understand correctly.
Dell monitor + new card = red screen
2nd monitor + new card = blue screen
Old card + 2nd monitor = ok but overheating?
Old card + Dell = ??
Must admit I thought like you that if the card caused the Dell to lose signal that the Dell logo wouldn't show when signal back on.
If the old card is overheating, is the new one as well?
If so why? Is the case getting over hot?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 23:33:05
Print Post

Old card and dell is ok. Old card was replaced in Oct 2014 because of over heating because mini fan stalls. New card is passive heat sink and runs at 50 degrees idle. RMA applied for.

Tim
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:04:20
Print Post

50 degrees idle is pretty hot. My R9 runs at around 30 degrees idle as a comparison.
At least you know what the fault is now?
BTW. Does the case get very hot? Could be a contributing factor?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:10:33
Print Post

Hard drives are about 30 degrees and old card with fan running is about 45 degrees, Im still not sure these two possible faults are related. The power problem with the Dell hasnt happened again, the GT610 DVI port is dead now.

Looked at the temps in BIOS and system is 25 degrees and CPU 45, GPU with fan is running about 43 now.

Tim

Edited by Banger (Sun 08-Mar-15 09:03:56)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 08:21:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Must admit I thought like you that if the card caused the Dell to lose signal that the Dell logo wouldn't show when signal back on.

It may well do. Loss of signal from the graphics card may mean the monitor enters a hibernate or power down mode. Then when the signal returns it powers back up. Yes, it can be confusing and some monitors have a set up that defines the power down or hiberbate state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to